PDA

View Full Version : Allergy advice needed (x-post feeding)

overcome
02-15-2007, 07:28 AM
This is actually for my cousin, who is 30, but I figured there are so many smart mamas on here who have allergy issues with their dc, that you may be able to help me.

My cousin was just recently found through allergy testing that she is allergic to brewer's and baker's yeast, pinto and kidney beans, and sunflower oil/seeds.

She is going crazy b/c yeast is in virtually every bread product. She is wondering if a product contains yeast, does it have to be listed on the label. I would think so..

Somehow vinegar also falls into the yeast category so that eliminates any products with vinegar as well.

She is pretty upset. I told her to check out trader joes and whole foods (both of which are at least 1 1/2 hours from us) b/c I know they cater to this type of thing.

Anyone out there dealing with something similar? Have you found any brands/specific foods that don't have yeast? She is worried about finding a salad dressing w/o vinegar. Any suggestions as to how to start finding foods that will be okay for her? Any great web sites you know of re allergies?

TIA for any info you could provide.

chlobo
02-15-2007, 08:26 AM
One thing she might want to look into is naturally fermented foods. They use fermentation & soaking rather than yeast.

I'm not sure about this, maybe someone can confirm, but I believe *real* traditional sourdough bread falls into the category. The sourdough starter acts as the yeast. I don't know if all sourdough bread would qualify but I know that some of the sourdough bread that i can get at whole foods uses sourdough starter rather than yeast.

Naturally fermended foods also elminate vinegar. So if she can find "real" fermended foods such as pickles, miso, sauherkraut, etc. these foods won't contain vinegar.

I would suggest that she find a nutritionist who might have experience with these kinds of issues and get their recommendations for eating before spending so much time driving to health food stores.

ilovetivo
02-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I strongly suggest she goes to www.kidswithfoodallergies.org and clicks on Community to get on their message boards. It's top of the line. I know there are people there dealing with the same thing with their dc's. You can get an Associate free membership or an Family full access one for $25 a year. I'd be lost w/o them. I'm "ilovetivo" there too.

Also, www.foodallergy.org (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network)

I'm not up on yeast info, but if it's not considered "wheat" it doens't have to be labeled. Only the top 8 allergens do: egg, dairy, fish, shellfish, peanut, tree nut, soy, wheat. And they don't need to label cross contamination (made in same facility or same line) for anything.

TJ's and WF don't really cater to allergies, but do have some products that can help. Don't go by their "lists" though. One has to check the labels each and every time they buy, and call the manufacturers to be sure of x-contam.

Salad dressing: canola or olive oil and lemon and spices/herbs.

Good luck and tell her it can be done and does get easier!

If it's helpful for her, you can direct her toward my Food Allergies Info thread http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=396578&mesg_id=396578&listing_type=search

writermama
02-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Chances are that if she can't eat brewer's yeast, baker's yeast, or even vinegar (fermented with a yeast "mother"), she can't eat sourdough either.

Sourdough is actually yeast -- it's just wild yeast that you capture and nurture into the starter. Interestingly, because different places have different varieties of native yeast, sourdough tastes different in different parts of the country. Thus, true San Francisco sourdough can only be made with starter from San Francisco. (I watch waaaay too much Good Eats and I'm working my way through a few baking books at the moment.)

I'm not sure, but I think your cousin should be able to eat foods that are labeled "Kosher for Passover" because they would have to be free of all leavening (no yeast, baking soda or baking powder).

Food allergy networks would be her best resource. Hugs to her; the transition to a yeast free diet must be difficult. Here's hoping she soon is feeling so much better that it makes up for it.

overcome
02-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Wow...you've all provided some great information. It will be so helpful for her to have some avenues to pursue.

She's know something was wrong for awhile but could never pinpoint it. She is upset about the whole thing, but still looking for answers, so I think that is good.

I knew this board would be helpful!!

Thanks to all who responded.