PDA

View Full Version : Toddler sleep problem - suggestions?

table4three
02-16-2007, 09:42 AM
My DS will be 2 next month. For the past 6+ months, he's been sleeping 730p - 730a and a 60-90 min afternoon nap. Now for the past month he's been getting up at 6am. I've heard mixed opinions - put him to bed earlier vs later to fix this. I'm a tired pregnant mommy and I would LOVE to have him sleep till 730 again. Anyone BTDT? Suggestions?

jgriffin
02-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Is he awake and crying for you, or just awake and babbling to himself? We've started putting a board book in E's bed at night, and sometimes I hear him talking about it in the morning before I go in to his room, so I know he's looking through it. I also put a sippy of water in there, so if he is thirsty when he wakes up at least there's something. That might buy you a little more time.

table4three
02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
He's no longer in his crib and what he does is come to the door and start calling for me and whining (the door has a doorknob cover on the inside and he can't leave the room). He's got full access to his books and toys. I hadn't thought about leaving a sippy of water there, though. That could help.

lil_acorn
02-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I wonder if it has to do with the daylight. My ds has changed his wake up time from 7 am to 6:30 becuase it's lighter in his room.

table4three
02-16-2007, 10:14 AM
that could have something to do with it, but i've got black out shades in his room and it is a west facing window, but perhaps he is more sensitive to it thatn I realize. the fact that the time changes on march 11 could help a lot. hmmm.... that sounds promising.

kellyotn
02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I think sometimes they just change sleep patterns for reasons we can't know or fix. My daughter at that age switched her routine every three months or so. I'd just get comfortable with one thing, then she'd switch it up completely.

Objectively, 730p-6am, with a nap is STILL a very good amount (something I'd have about killed for when my DD was that age.....) I know 6am is very early, but total hours is quite a lot. I don't know how easy it would be to shift the waking time, that's the hard one.

Will he come in an cuddle with you if you bring him in while he's still drowsy? If I do that, my son will go back to sleep, as long as I don't wait too long and "let" him get all the way awake.

Do leave a sippy in his room and maybe leave a special toy in there after he's gone to sleep. Something that might hold his attention for a bit when he sees it in the morning??