PDA

View Full Version : OT: fridge water filter question

jgriffin
02-16-2007, 09:58 AM
We bought a Kenmore fridge with a built-in filter this summer, and had it installed by Sears. Before this we used a Brita water pitcher for filtered water. For heating water for tea we use an electric kettle; we've had the kettle for several years and it never got mineral deposits in it. Ever since we've started using the fridge water, though, I am cleaning out deposits almost daily. I would have expected the fridge filter (Pur, I think) to filter out the same stuff as Brita. This even happened after I changed the filter a few months ago. Is this normal?

egoldber
02-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Hmm. Good question. We recently got a fridge with a filter too. But I still use my Brita for coffee and to fill the tea kettle because I think its too much of a pain to wait for enough fridge water for either one, LOL!!

dhano923
02-16-2007, 11:12 AM
We've had a Kenmore Elite fridge for about 3 years. Our fridge uses the filters that you slide in at the bottom of the fridge in front. We go through a filter every 2-3 months. Our fridge has a digital "countdown" inside the fridge area that tells you when you need to replace the filter. If you haven't changed it in a few months, it's possible that you need to change the filter. Our manual also recommended changing it every 3 months or when the countdown got to 0, whichever came first. Also, our fridge uses the Kenmore brand filters, not Pur - maybe you have the wrong filter installed?

jgriffin
02-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks! The filter should be the correct one, as I went back to Sears to buy it (but I'll do my own research before replacing it again, which will be asap). And since it was happening from the very beginning (with the filter that came with the fridge) I don't think that's the problem. I hope it is, though, as it would be the easiest solution.

I probably will go back to having a Brita pitcher on the counter. The water heats up faster (since it's not chilled), and I don't have to wait for the kettle to fill. I really liked *not* having it out, though, since it always seemed to be in the way. Well, it would be better than cleaning out the white gunk every morning.

I'm kinda wondering what this new filter is actually filtering, though. Maybe a call to Sears wouldn't be a bad idea either....

kochh2
02-17-2007, 11:48 AM
totally a hijack, but is it possible that I don't have to trek to sears to replace the filter in my kenmore?? has anyone found alternatives?? oooh, please share if you have any info!!
re: build up/deposits.... i have not had that problem, do you notice a change in the water's taste over the brita?? how about the texture?? we do occasionally notice that the water seems a little "thick" tasting, which is gross, but usually happens when we need to change the filter!! when did the filter go in?? how long does it say before it should be changed?? or has this happened from day one??