PDA

View Full Version : what to do w/18 totes of baby clothes

1ceng1
02-18-2007, 03:49 PM
I need space in my basement which is currently overcrowded with 18 large plastic totes of baby clothes. I have no plans for more kids so these clothes are no longer needed.
Problem: Younger sis is TTC for 7 months. She is still in her 20's so she has plenty of "trying" time ahead of her. Older is is also TTC but may be giving up shortly (she already has 1 DC and a basement-full of baby clothes herself).
Older sis and I have always shared baby clothes. Now many are stalled in my house since there are no babies being born. I have mentioned to them that I would like to clear up some space in my basement (my kitchen is being renovated and we will be living in it for 2 months). Should I just make a final offer for someone to take the stuff or just donate it all to get rid of it? I don't want to seem insensitive--especially to my younger sister who is bummed about not easily conceiving.
Btw: I only have clothing for girls, so if anyone has a boy my stuff won't work for them.

Thanks.

o_mom
02-18-2007, 04:06 PM
I would ask younger sis what she wants to do. My sister passed everything to me - boy or girl. She basically said if you want it, you store it, LOL. I have about 6 trash bags of girl clothes for my two boys. :-) If this one is a boy we are having a giant garage sale.

The other thing you could do is just weed it down a bit. Maybe go through and keep only the really good stuff - any great brands - Gymbo, Gap, Hanna, etc. Things like Christmas and Easter dresses would be good to keep. Sort out the Circo, Walmart Brand (can't remember the name), etc. since those can be picked up cheap if/when someone gets pregnant. Anything that is pretty worn, stained or dated donate. Or, sort out stuff that is not particularly memorable that you have lots of. We always had 10+ Carters one piece PJs, for example, and onsies are not expensive. If you could cut it down by half, then she would probably still have a good starting stash without having to take up too much room.

newmomto3kids
02-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I usually go through the bins several times until I have pared things down to a reasonable quantity.
On the first go through, I get rid of things with stains, things that are dated, ugly, not my taste or things that could be easily replaced cheaply (plain t-shirts, onesies etc.) I give anything in that pile that is in usable condition to Goodwill, the rest gets tossed.
A while later, I go through again and get rid of things that may be in good condition, but were not a favorite and were "nothing special" in my book. I also get rid of things that now have stains, from sitting in bins for a year or more.
Then I go through again, make piles of anything that can go to friends now, that I don't care if I get back or not.
Then I make a pile (very small) of things that I would be devastated to lose.
Most of the stuff ends up going to friends/family, Goodwill, or being saved to pass down to my own kids.
If it isn't going to be saved for our kids, or given away to friends/family right away, it goes to Goodwill.
Sometimes, I think time makes it easier to part with things. I would only save really special outfits for your sister. She will likely want to purchase her own things and you can have fun picking things out together.
Good luck.

ilovetivo
02-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Use "space bags" to make them all smaller and thinner?

KrisM
02-18-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree. I started getting hand-me-downs just after we got married. Heck, we stored the changing table and crib for a year before I got pregnant.

SnuggleBuggles
02-18-2007, 10:37 PM
I'd keep one tote of favorites, in different sizes/ seasons. Only keep special pieces, not every single basic. The rest I would donate. You can keep them for a sister...or for a future grandchild. :) Dh's parents gave us just a few clothes from when dh was a baby and they were so special.
Beth

C99
02-18-2007, 11:59 PM
I pretty much do what Cara does, although I go through the bins about once/quarter. I would probably weed through them to take out the stained, etc. stuff and then tell younger sister that if she wants them, she can store them and if not, they are going to charity.

lizajane
02-19-2007, 12:56 AM
i went through my first round of weed-outs by getting rid of stuff i would be embarrased to see my sister's kids wear! then i stashed it all until i knew she was TTC. then i took it up to my parents' house- they live in the same town- and hid it in my old room. as soon as i found out she was pregnant, i told her where the stuff was so she could get it.

i just found out she is having a boy. so now i store no more! it all goes straight to her house!

TahliasMom
02-19-2007, 02:37 AM
i donated most of my DD's clothes to women's shelters, friends and kept a few items that are sentimental to me. it doesn't seem there's a need in your family for baby clothes so might as well give to people who really need them. just my thoughts.

SnuggleBuggles
02-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Stains and all, I have heard Goodwill will take them so I would pass on everything rather than tossing pieces. Someone out there might want them. :) My friend told me that a while ago. I hadn't really considered giving them stained stuff before but she was assured that they want it.

Beth

KBecks
02-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Honestly, I'd clear it out.

See if you can find a charity that supports new moms with baby clothing and other items. We have a pregnancy center in town that takes these kinds of donations. Or maybe a women's shelter.

You should itemized what you're donating for taxes anyway - so you can write - 18 footed sleepers, etc. While doing that you can pick out the cutest/best condition stuff and save one or two totes for your siblings. They would be overwhelmed by 18 anyway and will want to buy some new things.

KBecks
02-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Many, many years ago (like 15) I read that Goodwill did recycling of some fibers, so they would take unsellable clothing and sell the material in bulk to people who recycle fibers.....

But now on Goodwill brochures I see if it's not in good enough condition to give to a friend, don't bother bringing it in....

So, I'm confused, and I now toss things I don't consider saleable at a Goodwill store.

KBecks
02-21-2007, 08:47 AM
To counter that, I got some clothes from when I was a baby that were kind of neat to see, but not that special. Perhaps its because I have boys and they were the most atrocious 70's pink girl clothes.

It was kind of nostalgic, but then I gave them to Goodwill.

MamaMolly
02-21-2007, 06:47 PM
I would pull out the really good stuff, then with the rest I would have a kick butt "everything's $1" yard sale. Use the money you get to buy rour sister something really lovely, or something expensive off her registry.
You'd make a big fat wad of cash!
Oh, and donate what doesn't sell to charity.