PDA

View Full Version : Silpada Jewelry

jenjenfirenjen
02-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Has anyone here ever been to a Silpada jewelry party and/or purchsed any of their stuff? I kept seeing their ads in my beauty/fashion mags and was always drawn to them. So I looked into it a bit and have started thinking about maybe selling it. But the little bit of research I have done, some people think it is overpriced. Granted, it is expensive but it looks pretty nice. I live in a fairly affluent area but still I worry if anyone will buy this stuff. Just looking for some more feedback.

If you've never seen the stuff, here's a linkie:

http://www.silpada.com/silpadaJewelry/index.jsp

C99
02-19-2007, 12:09 AM
I haven't bought anything, but it was all the rage among the moms and teachers in our co-op last year. They did a fundraiser with it at one of the meetings so I saw it, but nothing that I loved enough to spend the money on. The Silpada rep donated a bunch of pieces for our annual auction and there was a mix-up with one of the pieces and another donated necklace I bought for my MIL - I liked the Silpada piece better. However, I generally am not a fan of "____ parties" so I don't tend to go to them.

rupptopia
02-19-2007, 03:23 AM
I have been to a Silpada party, their jewelry is nice. I wouldn't call it high end though. I like the earrings I bought but the necklace definitely didn't look as nice as in the picture so I was a bit disappointed. If I go again I would stick with purchasing things the saleslady actually has on display.

Michelle
Mom to Alex born 9/28/04

firstbaby
02-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I have been a few times - my neighbors love hosting them so I usually attend / buy. I think their stuff is nice quality, a little on the pricey side (or maybe the things I like tend to be their more expensive pieces LOL). However, if I recall correctly, the initial investment IS expensive - I think $800 - $900 - to sell it. If you either love their jewelry and wouldn't worry about recouping your start up costs or you've run the numbers and could recoup that fairly quickly, try it!

MichelleRC
02-20-2007, 04:25 PM
I have a Silpada bracelet that I actually love and get compliments on all the time--it is silver with loads of dangly garnets. It was too long for me so I had a jeweler shorten it and make me matching earrings with the leftover garnets! It was not cheap, but I do really like it.

HTH!

luvsviola
02-22-2007, 11:09 PM
I went to a party last year not knowing anything and was extremely frustrated at how expensive the jewelery is. It is nice, but seemed to be the same as department store stuff with a higher price tag.

deenass
02-23-2007, 07:33 AM
My mom was a SIlpada rep for about a year (and it is quite the rage in our area). The stuff ranges in price - earrings start at around $20 and necklaces can be as high as $200.

When my mom made her initial investment, she elected to buy a lot of jewelery so she spent about $2000. SHe did make it back within the year and I think she will admit, she didn't work too hard at it (she started right before the holidays and had a bunch of parties and then they petereed off and she didn't really do much to bring in new business). It can be pretty lucrative, sinc eyou make 30% of the sales total and hostesses can get A LOT of free jewelery (a good incentive for them). Unlike other home shows, the hostess gets a percentage of sale in jewelery instead of "this piece at half off and this piece at a reduced rate".

A lot of people around here wear it. It isn't cheap, but it isn't INSANELY expensive either.

gatorruth
02-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I was a Cookie Lee Rep for about 2 years. Their stuff is a bit less expensive than Silpada. (check ebay for listings-- you can see how many reps end up quitting and trying to sell their inventory) I was gung ho about it but realized 1) it's tough to book parties!! If you do get a show, then it is very hard to 'convince' someone else there to do a show. 2) You have to be the kind of person to wear the jewelry all the time, talk about it, and try to sell it off your body- which is hard to do with kids around. If you leave your house without showering or getting 'dressed', don't even think about it!!

I have about $2000 worth of old CL jewelry that I need to sell on ebay now. Just don't tell DH!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Ruth