PDA

View Full Version : Is it inappropriate for my MIL to give my husband (her son) boxer shorts for Valentine's Day?

rebeccaravit
02-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Every year since I've known my DH his mom gives him a pair or two of boxers for Valentine's Day. I know that this tradition has been going on for a very long time, but I'm just not sure when it started. The boxers are usually from The Gap, with your standard V-Day decor on them, hearts, lips, whatever. Shouldn't I be the one to proclaim my love for his crotch on Valentine's Day with my lips? One year she even got me a few pair of thong bikinis from Victoria's Secret. Sorry, I don't want to flaunt a thong in front of my DH that was given to me by his mother.

Is this totally inappropriate or am I over-reacting?

s7714
02-20-2007, 04:54 PM
I didn't vote either way because I'm kind of in between. I think it's o.k. for her to buy your DH underwear as a present (if he still wants/needs them), but I think the Valentine's Day decor ones are in bad taste as a gift from mother to son.

My MIL used to buy DH and his brothers underwear and socks every Christmas. And any girlfriends that came around rec'd bras and underwear too. I thought it was funny. Somewhat embarrasing when she'd say "You'll want to open that package at home!", but everyone expected it, so everyone else thought of it as normal. She's since stopped doing it for those of us who've gotten married. I think she'd probably still do it if she didn't need to cut back on her gift spending though!

ETF grammar

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

sadie427
02-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I'd say the boxers for DH are ok, the thongs for you are inappropriate.

tarabenet
02-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Seriously? This is not keeping you up at night or anything is it? It's silly novelty gift. I just don't think it is worth freaking out over. Ummm....unless she's requesting a fashion show? Now *that* would be way beyond disgusting. (LOL) Short of that, though, there are way bigger worries to spend your energy on.

As for you proclaiming your love for his crotch? Go for it! I'm sure he won't complain. ;)

kali
02-21-2007, 03:27 AM
I voted that it's okay, but I was referring to the cutesy boxer shorts for your DH, and not the thong for you.

Honestly, I'm not even sure where I draw the line. A thong seems overtly sexual, while boxers seem pretty tame. If she gave you regular Valentine's-themed panties I probably wouldn't think it was inappropriate. Pretty random, I guess....

Jenn98
02-21-2007, 06:08 AM
I voted "no" but it would totally weird me out, too. I voted "no" because I don't think it's innaprpriate - that word seems kinda harsh. Giving him boxers is okay, but Valentine boxers would be odd. But I would be very uncomfortable if my MIL gave me undies. I nearly passed out at what she gave me at my bridal shower - a silk red nightie. I cannot look at it without thinking of her - talk about mood killer! What does your DH think of this? My DH would be very bothered by this.

jadamom
02-21-2007, 10:47 PM
I think it's a little weird. DH says he would never wear them if given to him by his mother.

edited for misspelling