PDA

View Full Version : 2 yo B-day party????

katiesmommy
02-21-2007, 02:20 AM
DD's empending birthday party is stressing me out. She will be 2 the begining of April. I already know what I want to get her (toy kitchen) but suddenly DH needs several days to ponder what we should actually do for her birthday party. What's a good idea for a 2 year old?? I'm not concerned with a theme, we didn't do a theme last year either, but how big do you go with it. Last year we did very small, just us and a couple of friends, pizza and cake at our house. This year I was thinking about doing it at our church because then we can have some of her church friends come to it. I would just do it at our house, but we live on a military base, so no one can come or it's a pain to get them in anyway, and it involves lots of cleaning that I'm not really up to doing, as I would have to do it all myself. So, can I get some sort of suggestions???? Someone help me!!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2007, 11:03 AM
I followed the X kids per X age child is turning formula. So, 2 kids her age for a 2yo b-day party. We also had family at the party so it was a pretty big crew but ds loves grown ups and attention so it worked well for him. :)

At this age the party is mostly for you so go with what makes you comfortable but definetly keep her personality in mind. If you want a big party but she does much better in a small, intimate group then that is what you should go with.

Themes are fun but probably more so when she gets a bit older. I like themes just because it makes it easier to shop! :)

I have been reading birthday party books for the past 2 birthdays and they really help so much. I just get them from the library. Ds' b-day isn't for many months but I got out some b-day books just the other day to start thinking about it. Most were duds though. The ones that I have gotten the best ideas from are:

Birthday Parties: Best Party Tips and Ideas by Vicki Lansky. I like this one the most because it breaks things down by age and gives recommendations on how many to invite, what (if any) games to play, how long parties should be based on age, and all the good basic tips that will really help you have successful b-day parties. And it is a well laid out, easy to read book. If you just read this book and no other websites or anything you will have an excellent kid party foundation.
http://www.amazon.com/Birthday-Parties-Party-Family-Childcare/dp/0916773361/ref=cm_cr-mr-title/102-4416414-7333758

Family Fun's Parties (also check out their website- many of the ideas are on there and it will save you a trip to the library). This is probably better for planning an older kids' party as there are lots of theme stuff and bigger kid games and activities. But, they are a good source of info. Good, inspiring pictures too. :)
http://www.amazon.com/FamilyFuns-Parties-Birthdays-Holidays-FamilyFun/dp/0786864540/ref=pd_sim_b_3/102-4416414-7333758

I have a few requests in for some books that looked well recommended on amazon. I just read Supermum's Book for Best-Ever Kids' Parties and was not blown away.

You really don't need to do anything more than have cake and maybe open presents (I like to open them during the party but you'll get dif't opinions on that). Decorations, cake and good company make the day special for a 2yo. :)

Beth

kristenk
02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
What's the weather like where you live? Could you have her party at a park? Or, the church sounds great.

I don't think it's worth it having a 2yo bday party at Gymboree or Little Gym or one of the bounce house places, etc.

For DD's bday, we basically had playgroup at our house. All of the kids played with DD's toys. I had ordered lots of little blow-up balls from Oriental Trading Company and had those around on the floor. The kids liked playing with those. Oh, we also had play doh and some play doh accessories out in a specific area. That was pretty much it. The kids had fun (there were 5 kids there). The parents had fun. It was easy to do.

I learned for DD's 3rd birthday that brightly-colored balloons do a whole lot to make a place look festive for not much money and very little effort! I think we paid $10 for 18 balloons and they were great. Very easy to clean up, too! (Latex balloons *are* a choking hazard, so keep that it mind.)