PDA

View Full Version : quick food question! meat...

megs4413
02-21-2007, 10:10 AM
so i accidentally put the ground beef i bought on sunday in the fridge instead of the freezer...can i still use it today? i'm a complete cooking nightmare, so i'm sorry if this is a lame question. thanks!

oh it's wrapped tightly from the butcher and in a plastic bag if that makes any difference.

LarsMal
02-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Is there a "use by" date on it? I would think it's perfectly fine. I put meat in the fridge all the time and use it days later. I don't usually buy from the butcher, though, so mine will have a date on it.

My mom always says to smell it. If it doesn't smell right, don't use it. Otherwise, you should be fine.

I'm completely neurotic about meats, so I understand!

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2007, 10:27 AM
I think they say 2-3 days in the fridge but so long as it looks/ smells ok I will use it even up to 5 days.

Check it out...when in doubt, throw it out. :) So, toss it in the freezer now, brown it and freeze it for future use or have dinner for tonight. :)

Beth

dawell0
02-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Since you are cooking it thoroughly, you should be fine to use or freeze right now. We thaw our meat for the week on Monday and still use it up to 5 days later and haven't ever had a problem. I guess that the general rule is 3 days, so you are still in that camp as well.

dawell0
02-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Since you are cooking it thoroughly, you should be fine to use or freeze right now. We thaw our meat for the week on Monday and still use it up to 5 days later and haven't ever had a problem. I guess that the general rule is 3 days, so you are still in that camp as well.

megs4413
02-21-2007, 01:34 PM
i got e.coli once at a restaurant and i'm a freaking nut now....i think we're still in the clear, though, so i went ahead and fixed crock pot meatballs! they smell pretty good, but it's my first go at them so we'll see how they taste tonight....

megs4413
02-21-2007, 01:34 PM
i got e.coli once at a restaurant and i'm a freaking nut now....i think we're still in the clear, though, so i went ahead and fixed crock pot meatballs! they smell pretty good, but it's my first go at them so we'll see how they taste tonight....