PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a futon from ikea

mommabear
02-21-2007, 02:20 PM
We need a futon to use in the office/guestroom. It will get about 3 mon of use a year. I am wondering about the comfort and quality.
Thanks

mommabear
02-23-2007, 08:59 AM
anyone?

bostonsmama
02-23-2007, 09:25 AM
I was just at a friend's appartment in DC (all 250sq ft), and she got all her furniture from Ikea--most of it very cute, sturdy, and trendy. The futon-combo-couch thingy was about as uncomfortable as it comes, though. I haven't been inside an actual Ikea yet (save for when I was in Europe), but I guess it would have to depend on the model. This futon (with lots of huge, extra pillows) was neither comfortable to sit in nor lay down in. It was really cute, but just not user-friendly. The cushions actually constantly slipped out from under your rear when you were sitting, and shifted when we tried to lay out. I've slept on some great futons in my life (b/c my step dad's family is part Asian and he inherited a lot of really nice futons), and the Ikea one was not one of them.

Wish I could help you more...I don't know if the one she had was the one you're thinking about.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
02-23-2007, 09:41 AM
We have one from about 5 years ago. It is a metal frame and not the typical futon style. It does have a large foam mattress that flips out. Like everything at Ikea, it has a shorter life than "real" furniture, but if you aren't using it that often, it should be okay. That said, it's also not going to last you more than a handful of years. If you just need something for the occasional guest and don't want to spend a lot of money, Ikea is the way to go. If you are looking for permenant guest room furniture, I would spend a little more and get one elsewhere.

ETA: Ours may still be around 5 years later, but it is less than functional. We just haven't gotten rid of it!