PDA

View Full Version : loveseat covered in vomit-can it be saved?

mommyoftwo
02-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Amelia just vomited all over our loveseat. It's on the back, the arms, and the one one remaining cushion that wasn't involved in the last vomiting incident (it got ruined when the sewer backed up into the laundry room where I was cleaning it). We know we have to get a new loveseat anyway, but can't afford it quite yet. Is there something inexpensive we can do to clean it or should we just put it out to the curb and plan for the new one?

Sillygirl
02-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Try club soda - pour it on, let it soak, blot it up. Saved my crib mattress once. Remove all visible stuff first.

MamaMolly
02-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Baking soda and water will help with the smell. I also find I can get just about anything out with Oxyclean and my Bissel little green steam clean machine. It is like a carpet steamer, only teensie- vaccuum sized. Got a Biggie Sprite from Wendy's out of the driver's seat of my car with that thing. The whole cup went into my lap.

You can also rent big steamers with attachments at a lot of grocery stores. I actually got a gallon of spilled paint out of wall to wall carpet with one of those. (Which is what lead to using it on the whole carpet, which is why we bought the Bissel, to get the edges...)

Good luck!
Molly
(after re-reading this, I realize I'm kind of a klutz...)

mommyoftwo
02-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Oh, duh, I forgot we have a bissel steam cleaner for our carpet. I bet we have an attachment for furniture. I'll have to go figure it out. DH always takes care of the carpets and he's still at the hospital. I do have club soda so I can start with that.

miki
02-21-2007, 08:14 PM
My dog threw up on the sofa and after all the cleaning, it still smelled. Spraying Febreze got rid of all the odor. I have Sure Fit slipcover for the sofa that a heavy canvas like material. Got it for about $40 from www.smartbargains.com , Overstock also sells them. If I see it happen and whip the slipcover off right away, the vomit doesn't soak into the actual furniture and the slipcover can go into the washer and dryer.

saschalicks
02-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Poor Amelia!!! I have no clues other then Febreze.

cstack
02-22-2007, 09:22 AM
OdoBan works awesome for odors, too. You could use it in the steam cleaner because it is a cleaner/deodorizer/disinfectant. THere's also a cleaner I got at HomeDepot to put in a steam cleaner. It's something like 101 Uses (you can use it for anything, including cleaning the deck and pressure washing). It was a bit pricey, but it cleaned thing so nicely and it smelled awesome!

SummerBaby
02-22-2007, 10:52 AM
DD has never thrown up on the sofa, but I've had great success getting vomit out of our carpets using Resolve. I believe you can use that on upholstery as well. As for the smell, I've used Nature's Miracle (available at pet stores) on the car seat straps and that truly is a miracle. You literally spray it on and the smell is gone. With both products, I would test them in an inconspicuous spot before you use them all over. Good luck, and hope your DD feels better!

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04