PDA

View Full Version : Help Miracle Cold Cures, or prevention anyone???

robinsonbn
02-21-2007, 09:37 PM
DH is sick, DS is sick...I may be getting sick. I have been taking Vitamin c and drinking lots of juice. But my chest still feels a bit tight. DH has been really sick the past few days and is just now getting better. DS just has a mild cold. I can't get sick...besides having to look after DS, I have a bachelorette party I have to go out of town for on Saterday. I know it sounds selfish...but well She's my best freind I gotta go. Not to mention it will be my first time away since DS was born. Anyone have any miracle cures or preventions for colds they wish to share with me? I will try anything :)

mudder17
02-21-2007, 10:06 PM
I've had a sore throat try to "get me" for a while and any time I even think it's coming on, I start gargling with warm salty water with two capfuls of peroxide. I also will take a Neti pot and put a little salt and peroxide and warm water and flush out my nasal passages. It has truly helped and so far I haven't (cross my fingers) gotten really sick. And of course, you should wash your hands a lot. Good luck!

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 34 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

tarabenet
02-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I've had good luck with Airborne in the past. Also, when I went to the doc with strep a while back, he urged regular gargling with Listerine, like 4-5 times a day. Says he swears by it for keeping cold, flu and strep at bay.

Also, I hate what decongestants do to dry up my whole body. Much prefer Mucinex when I'm congested in head or chest. The generic stuff works just fine for me.

jenjenfirenjen
02-21-2007, 11:01 PM
I swear by colloidal silver. I get it the spray kind at the health food store and whenever i feel a little sickness coming on, i spray it in my mouth a few times a day and i'm usually on the mend the next day.

kcandz
02-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Not to spook you but there is some scary stuff out there about colloidial silver - it sometimes turns people gray, and they never change back. You may want to google it.

To OP: I like airbornne and my friend swears by Dr Shen Ying Chao - I want to google that too though, because I noticed Whole Foods had pulled it for "review" - there was a little sign out. I bought a different brand.

robinsonbn
02-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanx everyone I am going to try all of those...cept the silver...I was then I read the post about turning people gray...I'm scared now lol. Anyway, I wonder if instead of Listerine (cause i hate the taste and feel) Colgate alcohol free will work the same. I use that every day but I could try it a few times a day. Anyway, thankyou here is hoping I am healthy on Saterday :)

jenjenfirenjen
02-22-2007, 07:35 AM
I know you mean well but I have researched it and I don't have any qualms about taking it. My grandmother has been taking it her whole life with no problems (yeah, she's gray but she's 80 something.) I'm 31 without a single gray hair.

ET remove beyotchy comments

tarabenet
02-22-2007, 10:47 AM
No idea. You aren't going for the plaque fighting here, but for the germ killing, so make sure it promises that. I hate regular Listerine, but I'm doing OK with the Vanilla-Mint "Less Intense" version.

dcmom2b3
02-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Try ginger root. You can buy it in capsules in health food stores and some drugstores, or you can cut up fresh ginger into chunks, boil it in water until the water turns golden yellow and drink the liquid. Not the tastiest brew (I think it scares the cold right out of you!), but I've had great luck with it.

AngelaS
02-22-2007, 07:13 PM
I start mega dosing on Vit C tablets --- like 10,000 mg a day. :D

gina
02-23-2007, 11:52 AM
My mom swears by vinegar (apple cider or balsamic). She takes a teaspoonful after the grandkids leave. I guess it works about the same as listerine. I have also heard that garlic works similarly.

When I am sick I like drinking echinacea tea instead of taking cold medicine. It clears my sinuses without drying out my nose. I have not taken it since I have been nursing though.

Gina E

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 12 mo - Happy First Birthday Olivia!

robinsonbn
02-23-2007, 01:26 PM
So after days of Lots of Vitemin C, Gargling colgate mouthwash(its all we had), drinking Camemeole (sp) Tea, Eating Garlicky stuff, Eating Ginger root Chicken Salad, ect...I feel fine, well sorta I have a cough but it really only rears its head at night, My chest does feel like theres something going on but very mildly. Although, in the A.M I feel like someone is sitting on my chest. I think I am good to go. We were supossed to go out tonight and my mom was going to watch DS. I think I am just sending DH out, having my mom watch DS and I will be sleeping. Just to get that little extra rest that should help me be as healthy as possible for tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your tips, I think they helped....or at least kept my body guessing :)