PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen "The Departed"? Curious about violence level

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2007, 12:17 AM
I was psyched to see it till dh heard that it was pretty violent. I can handle some violence in movies/ TV. But, is it more "James Bond," "24," "Pulp Fiction" or "Kill Bill" level of violence? How graphic (without giving too much of the movie away :))?

Thanks so much! Saturday is date night and we may go to this as it is Oscar night on Sunday!

Beth

denna
02-23-2007, 02:10 AM
Hey Beth~

I thought The Departed was an excellent film. However my big complaints were the goriness (sp?) and the language. I would say its definitely at a Kill Bill level.

It is a really good movie w/ a lot of great actors though.

julieakc
02-23-2007, 02:27 AM
Interestingly, I don't think it is at the Kill Bill level. Yes, it is violent, but I found Kill Bill gratuitously violent, graphic and bloody to the point that it really bothered me. Maybe the storyline has something to do with it, but I didn't have the same feeling about The Departed. That is not to say it isn't violent...but I think it was handled better so that not everything is shown in graphic detail the way I felt it was in Kill Bill. For me it's between James Bond and Pulp Fiction....more reminiscent of The Godfather.

It is a great movie and extremely well acted!

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2007, 09:12 AM
"I found Kill Bill gratuitously violent, graphic and bloody to the point that it really bothered me. Maybe the storyline has something to do with it"

I couldn't watch "Kill Bill", which surprised me because I can usually handle that stuff. But, I think you nailed it in how it just seemed like gratuitous violence. Also, I just couldn't really get into the story.

I think I'll suck it up an go to see it b/c the story really sounds good. :) I'm just glad it's up for awards since we missed it back in the fall. Now we get another chance at the theaters.

Thank you so much for both of your feedback as it least I am going in with my eyes open to what it will probably be like- and know that I may be closing my eyes some.

Beth

denna
02-23-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm really glad you decided to see it, it really is a great movie! Like I said before my biggest gripe was the language I could have really done w/o that.

As far as gruesomeness I had to turn my head away a few times for the 'splatter' but like pp said they didnt show too much of one thing it was just shocking in some scenes. I was reminded of the scene in Kill Bill where the girl gets her arm cut off a couple of times... that is what came to mind w/ your question.

I havent seen che other movies to make a comparison to them. I hope you enjoy the film nonetheless and let us know what you thought :).

Alice523
02-23-2007, 05:33 PM
We finally rented it last week and LOVED it. There was one graphic scene I couldn't watch but it wasn't bloody, just painful enough that I had to look away. That said, The Sopranos is one of my favorite shows. As long as there's no torture or really sick/twisted scenes, I don't mind violence. Have fun on date night!

JenniferMC1971
02-23-2007, 10:09 PM
I loved The Departed, and I hate violent movies. I didn't see Kill Bill because I heard it was so violent. I did turn my head at several points during The Departed, but the acting is great and the story is compelling. I highly recommend it.

Jennifer

cindys
02-23-2007, 11:41 PM
We just finished watching The Departed and loved it!!

I was a little worried about the violence but wasnt as bad as I thought it might be. Kill Bill was much much worse in my book.

Cindy

Ceepa
02-24-2007, 11:43 AM
It was more gunshot violent than gore violent, does that make sense? The blood splatters were those little Hollywood packets that explode when triggered so it wasn't really gruesome just startling at times.

-Ceepa