PDA

View Full Version : Swimsuit advice needed for post-baby!

feierabend35
02-24-2007, 09:05 PM
I am due with my second child in a few weeks and am looking for a good post-baby swimsuit. I've been looking on the Land's End site at both the tankinis and one-piece options. I was able to wear a two-piece last summer but I had six months before summer to get my body back- not the case this time!
If anyone has had a good experience with Land's End or has another suggestion I would really appreciate it. I need to find one that will hide the middle, give decent coverage in the rear (really hard to find at local stores) and provide bust support for a nursing mom! :)

trumansmom
02-24-2007, 09:13 PM
The Lands End Faille tankinis ROCK! Last year I had the high neck top and skirted bottom and wasn't afraid to go in public in a swimsuit in years! I'll definitely be buying another one this year. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

gatorsmom
02-24-2007, 11:36 PM
I definitely second the Lands End tankinis. Love mine. I actually look forward to going to water parks now!!!

I did, however, see some pretty tankini-type swimsuits in the Spiegel's Spring 2007 catalog recently. You could probably check online for those.

Tondi G
02-25-2007, 12:10 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about the LE tankinis I also some some cute simple suits on J Crews website last year.... a lot more than they carried in their stores!!!

I am thinking I will have to go with a tankini this year and maybe a pair of board shorts! :)

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

shilo
02-25-2007, 01:07 AM
i love love love LE tankini's. i have two from last years beach living line along with their swim cover-up skirt. the faille was a close second, but i decided on the beach living b/c i liked the bra style better. last summer, i still had a nursing/just-post-nursing bust, and found that their underwire bra style gave me plenty of support (i think i was either a DD or D at the time)and eventho i don't prefer an underwire nsg. bra, i did think it gave me a better look in the swim suit. i also like their stuff b/c you buy the pieces separately, so you can get a different size in the bottom for a little more coverage in the seat - great thing for a pear shape like me!

last year you could search their suimsuit line by bra style, so if you are ok with the idea of an underwire, you might try starting your search there. also, don't forget that sears stores carry about 1/3 of the LE swim line in their stores. so you can try for size/style there, but order from the catalog if they don't have the exact color or pattern you want at the store. you can also make returns of LE stuff directly to sears so you don't have to pay shipping back.

hth, lori.
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

feierabend35
02-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback about LE- I didn't even think about checking out Sears to try on and figure out a size. I like that their tankinis actually cover your belly instead of just sit on top of it like some of the others do- that almost makes it worse!
Anyone have an opinion about the 1 vs. 2 vs. 3 in the coverage of the bottoms?

table4three
02-25-2007, 12:27 PM
I am also a fan of the LE suits and I also have a miraclesuit tankini I got from eddie bauer the summer after I had my march baby. It had lots of support and I loved it while nursing. Not that easy to nurse in, really, but had the support needed.

http://b2.lilypie.com/K-PVm6/.png

mum1day
02-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I got a Miraclesuit last year. This is the one I got and it's awesome! I love how it makes me look and feel. It's sexy and covers my two baby belly! ;-)

http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?cm_cg=T308, T424T308, T424AgrRef&product_id=23104&.rand=disabled

niccig
02-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Such a timely post. We have a family wedding in April in Mexico. I'll check out what everyone suggested.

Any ideas on swim shorts? With my VERY bad dimply thighs, I always wear shorts. I saw Eddie Bauer had some. Anyone else?

Thanks.

Tondi G
02-25-2007, 06:04 PM
If you put womens board shorts into a search engine you should find some... with Hawaiian prints and such. If you want solid then Eddie Bauer or Lands end both have them!

g-mama
02-25-2007, 07:14 PM
I just bought this same exact suit (in brown) and wore it on a trip to Mexico last week. LOVE LOVE LOVE this suit. I have not felt good about myself in a bathing suit for 6 years and this suit upped my beach confidence 1000%. I have been going for tankinis for years thinking that they did a better job covering up a flabby belly than a one-piece but this suit really sucks it in yet is super comfortable. The underwire does a great job supporting my D cups. I felt amazing in this suit. Dh noticed, too, and complimented me, although I'm sure he'd rather see me like I was pre-kids back in my bikini days!

hudsonam
02-26-2007, 10:22 AM
I ordered probably 20 of Lands' End's suits last summer to try on, and I tried several of the one-pieces that hold in your tummy. I also needed support up top. It used to be for big boobs, but since bf'ing, I need it for saggy boobs. :( Anyway, their suits are really nice and provide good coverage in all the right places. I would recommend trying the long torso in the one-pieces, even if you don't have a long torso. I am actually short-waisted, but the regular ones felt too short in the body, and one of their customer service reps on Live Chat even said she buys the long torso ones because she feels more comfortable in them.

Also, the soft cups are pretty supportive. The underwire is supportive, but hit in a weird place on me. But every body is different, so I'd try them both. The shelf bra probably won't be enough for you.

I would also get long torso in the tankinis, if you try any of them. They tend to run short, IMO.

Order a bunch and then return them for free at Sears. :) Just be prepared for the return process to take a looooong time. They don't have a very good system for returns in-store. It takes forever.

ETA: To comment on a couple of the responses, the Faille suits at LE are so comfy! Unfortunately they didn't do anything for me. Their skirt bottoms are very cute too. Also, I ended up buying a J Crew suit, and I liked theirs a lot too (also ordered a bunch to try :-)).

madelinesmom
02-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Just wanted to rave about the LE suits, they hold up beautifully, I have had them for about 3 years. I just wanted to let you know that not all Sears carry Land's End, our Sears is too small and they no longer carry the brand in store. BUT... you can still return to Sears after you order from the catalog.

Jane
Madeline 1/20/03
Emily 11/29/05
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

gina
02-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, after reading this, I think I am going to have to get a Lands End Tankini.

But what I was going to say is I found a tankini this past year at JCPenney. It had a skirt on the bottom , since I am bottom heavy anyway and especially self conscious since baby came last year. The top was a kind of low cut halter style. So I tried to show off my best assets (BF boobs) and hide the bottom. Also it was a solid dark plum color which was suprisingly attractive.

Sorry no specific brands but good luck!

Gina

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 12 mo - Happy First Birthday Olivia!

mum1day
02-26-2007, 11:48 AM
That is exactly how I feel in it. I am pretty large breasted as well and find that this suit really helps there as well. I cannot say enough great things about this!

I, too, would rather be in a bikini like the good old days. But they were worth it.

SummerBaby
02-26-2007, 02:29 PM
I believe LE has them. http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivingSolidNylonSwimShorts-66115_166781_589.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_66115&sid=2710141512885171192

I bought them with a matching top 2 years ago and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I don't think I paid that much for them, but having experienced them, I'd say they're worth every penny!

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

lmintzer
02-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I got a Lands End faille tankini last year. It's okay. I can't say I love it. The biggest problem is that the top is a little baggy. Although I am certainly not in bikini form, I don't really want anything that sags/bags. I didn't like how it felt in the pool when the water would creep under it and make it billow out.

I prefer a more fitted top, so I am trying J. Crew's swim separates this year. We'll see how that goes.