PDA

View Full Version : Help! Dress me for an academic conference! UPDATE

bisous
02-26-2007, 01:04 AM
THANK YOU! For all of your responses. I'm always amazed at the diversity of the readership on the BBB. You guys really do know everything!!! The best news is that it sounds like I won't probably have to shell out a lot of money for some new clothes. I won't be interviewing during the conference, I just kind of want to "fit in". I think that I will actually wear a comfortable, casual skirt, some beaded flats (thanks for the tip about standing a lot!), one of my shade shirts plus some beads and a casual jacket. I can't imagine wearing anything more comfortable and although it isn't technically "professional" I would consider it at least "business casual".

Again, THANK YOU!!!

I'm attending my first academic conference this weekend. It is in the social sciences where I'll be attending but not presenting. I'm 4.5 mos pg and I wear jeans and a t-shirt every day! Has anyone ever attended a conference? What will everyone else be wearing. I'd hate to stand out.

TIA

Jen

BTW my normal clothes still mostly fit but I find my comfy mom clothes more forgiving than my old work ones.

MonicaH
02-26-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm in medicine, not the social sciences, but I'm guessing "business casual" will be the way most people will be dressed. I went to a medical conference for 3 days when I was about 22-23 weeks pg and wore a dress, khakis with a nice blouse, and a suit (I was presenting that day).

Good luck and enjoy the conference!
Monica

pb&j
02-26-2007, 07:55 AM
I had to present at a conference when I was 6 mos pregnant! Usually conference attire is business casual. It was a multi-day conference, so I wore either gray pants and a button-down shirt, or a skirt and a nicer shirt. Khakis and something a notch above a t-shirt should be fine.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

juliasmom05
02-26-2007, 08:06 AM
I agree business casual is the way to go. I'd go with either a nice pair of pants (khakis are fine) or skirt and a shirt or blouse. I'm in a different field (Biological Sciences), but honestly depending on the meeting you'll find people dressed anywhere from shorts and jeans to suits and ties and everything in between. Wear comfortable shoes because you might be standing on your feet quite a bit.

Marci

CiderLogan
02-26-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm in the social sciences too. People will be wearing everything from casual khakis and a nice t-shirt to full dress suits. If you are just attending, nice pants and a nice shirt with loafers/flats would be fine. I've attended a number of conferences pregnant, and I usually wore a comfy, stretchy skirt and maternity blouse or one of my nicer maternity knit shirts. In the social sciences, I find most people err on the side of being a little too casual and everyone's fine with it.

Which conference are you attending? I miss going to those now that I'm mostly a SAHM.

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

mommy111
02-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Business casual, although I agree that in the social sciences, most people tend to tone down rather than up. So pants and a nice button-down shirt will make you not stand out, but there will also be people there in jeans and nice t-shirts, people wearing dresses and beads and the occassional shorts and t-shirt :) Do what makes you most comfortable.

caheinz
02-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Yep. Casual to business casual. Depends on the field, but sounds like social sciences isn't far from my field -- ecology, where people wear anything from shorts to suits, and many more on the casual side than formal.

Though, it depends to on why you're going. You won't be doing any interviews (eg, for a job) or anything while there, will you?

DrSally
02-26-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm in the social sciences too. Khaki's and a sweater/botton down shirt would be fine, esp since you're not presenting. You might even be more comfortable in a skirt and top.

bisous
02-27-2007, 07:58 AM
By the way, I'm kind of excited to see some other Social Science people. Just by way of info, I'm attending the MAP Conference at UCLA (Medieval Association of the Pacific). I'm a history grad student with two "fields" in Ancient and Medieval and with my professors blessing I'm "tweaking" the two fields to be more inclusive of other world regions. My real area of interest is in influential nomadic pressure groups on other primary civilizations of the pre-modern world. Anyone else in History by any chance?