PDA

View Full Version : Another OT: How do you think Ellen did as host?

Jenn98
02-26-2007, 10:04 AM
UGH! our cable went out so I missed a little more than the first hour of the show. You better believe I'm sending the cable company an email - our local news said nearly 1/3 of the state lost cable. On Oscar night!!!! unbelievable.

Fairy
02-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Ellen did great! I've loved most of the hosts over the years, especially Billy Crystal. I thought Ellen was wonderful, but personally, I'd've like to see her more formally dressed. Dress or no dress, I wasn't in love with her fashion choices. But that's small; I think she did a great job, especially with the script to Scorsese.

Was over the moon about Jennifer, but I held my breath during her entire song with Beyonce waiting for her to fall out of that dress. In fact, I swear, there was a little bit of nipplage happenin' with her right breast. I saw her adjust a couple times, but it wasn't till she went into the dark for Beyonce's focus that she finally fixed it. Then it was just showing bra. Better than the alternative. Oh, and that beam me up shrug? Horrible. Her Globes dress was way better.

Eddie got robbed. ROBBED. R-0-B-B-E-D.

When Jennifer was going up for her award, I swear Bazzarra's husband said something to her, and she nodded in agreement, and it warn't too nice.

Forrest was the right choice. Oh, but Leo. My poor, poor Leo. What does he have to do to get a statue?

Gwynneth wore a bra. Nice.

Helen's dress was spectacular. I didn't get into that All hail the Queen thing, but I love her anyway.

And Nicole Kidman, who did nothing this year or last was there, why? And her butt bow on her shoulder was there why?

George Lucas was great.

Two words: Al Gore. Two more words: Loved him.

pb&j
02-26-2007, 11:29 AM
I think she did a great job. Very low key, as it should be - she's hosting, not taping an HBO special! I agree that she should have dressed more formally. I thought the open collar was too casual. I did love that burgundy velvet suit she started out in, though! I liked the bit where she was vacuuming as part of her "host" duties. Did you notice that all the other stars were playing along and lifting up their feet, and Gwyneth was kind of scowling and not amused at all? She looked great, but just seems so humorless these days. Get over yourself already!

Eddie - totally robbed. Gar.

Somehow I missed the performance of the song from Dreamgirls, and couldn't find it on youtube. If anyone knows of a link for it, post it here!

I was sooooo happy that Jennifer Hudson won, but her dress and hair were awful. She looked SO FREAKIN BEAUTIFUL in that dress with the short sleeves at the Golden Globes, which made it extra-disappointing that she showed up in an ill-fitting brown spaghetti strap dress with that weird pointy gold bolero...thing.

Naomi Watts - absolutely, definitely preggo. Her reps will neither confirm nor deny, but there's no question about it now.

I thought it was great how Abigail Breslin and Will Smith's son handled the flub with the teleprompter. They're little kids and they're total pros! Amazing.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

DebbieJ
02-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Thought she did great. Obviously the director and producers are trying to cut down the length of the show and so the hosts part seemed to get shortened every year.

I think her outfits were fine. That's her thing--she wears pants and suits--no dresses for her!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

mommy_someday
02-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Ry, here's the linky for the Dreamgirls performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04gBOLzXIxg

TraciG
02-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I love Ellen BUT thought the show was SO BORING & drawn out !

pb&j
02-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Woo!

Hello, Jennifer Hudson's bosom! Goodness.

-Ry,
and my girl in heaven

SnuggleBuggles
02-26-2007, 03:58 PM
I think Ellen did a really good job. I enjoyed the show. I did enjoy the Jack Black/ Will Ferell song but I wonder if it shouldn't have been cut so the end wouldn't have been so rushed.

The dance group was very cool.

Fun show. I loved when she gave her screenplay to Martin Scorcese.

I did feel a bit bad seeing the losers right there when she was giving him that screen play or when she was vacuuming- the people *just* lost moments before, maybe (especially the best actress nominees not so much Mark Walberg) she could have found somewhere else to vacuum. :) But, a funny gag though.

Beth

Fairy
02-26-2007, 04:54 PM
One more thing. I think Anika Noni Rose was the absolutely best dressed of the entire evening. That dress during the Dreamgirls performance and her hair were just breathtaking.

lizajane
02-26-2007, 09:04 PM
fairy-
you are funny as carp. dyin' over here.
liza

ps- i am totally over gwynneth.

lizajane
02-26-2007, 09:07 PM
i kinda agree. i love ellen. and some of her "stuff" was REALLY funny. but i thought she was a bit too low key. and her opening, IMO, was duuuuuuuuuuull. except for the al gore joke, which was FREAKIN' AWESOME. but hey, i am a raging liberal, so that stuff always gets me...

LarsMal
02-26-2007, 09:36 PM
I love Ellen, so I was really rooting for her to have a great show. I think she did fine but played it safe. I did love the joke about America not voting for Jennifer Hudson, but they did vote for Al Gore. That was great! The Oscar Bjorn was pretty funny, too.

I think the show, overall, was entertaining- the Will Ferell, Jack Black song was hilarious!

What did you think?

Twin Mom
02-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Ellen was entertaining but the show overall was a bore as it usually is. I don't watch live anymore, I just Tivo the show and then start watching about an hour or so after it starts and fast forward through most of it. Of course by the end I had to watch it live since I had already skipped most of the show.

Was very excited that Jennifer won.

Corie
02-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm usually up on all my celebrities but who is Bazzarra? I didn't quite follow
what you were saying.

Thanks! :)

kelly ann
02-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Helen looked so beautiful. I would love to look half as good at her age. Okay...I would love to look half that good tomorrow when I wake up ;) She looked better than some of those 30-something ladies on the red carpet.

Fairy
02-27-2007, 10:29 AM
She was one of the chick's nominated for Best Supporting Actress against Jennifer Hudson. I might have gotten her name wrong (d'oh). I'm pretty sure she was in Babel, tho I didn't see that movie. Her clip alone sure looked like it was an intense role.

Fairy
02-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread (forgive me!), but the mention of Helen looking so good, above, inspired me to mention some of the fashions:

* I thought Penelope Cruz's dress was hideous. Too bad Ellen couldnd't have vacuumed it up. Apparently, I'm the only one alive who thought this.

* I give best dressed to Helen; her dress was awesome. Also loved the dresses for Kate Winslet, Beyonce PERFORMING (not red carpet), and Reese (who needs to gain those 10 lbs back)

* Other hiddeous dresses in my opinion were Naomi Watts (def pregnant, but refusing to confirm it) and J-Lo (ya know, I don't think pregnant, cuz her boobs are just not big enough for an engorgy-early-preggo-boobs) -- and again, apparently I'm the only one who thinks this about J-Lo's dress.

* Open Letter to Merryl Streep: I love you; I want you to know that right off the bat. I will continue to love you. However, I think what happened to you at the Oscars this year was that you decided you weren't gonna win, so why make an effort, and just took whatever you had out of your closet and didn't wash your hair, either, and then also put on that big beady shahman necklas thing and said, ok, we're off to see the wizard. In your favor: At least it wasn't a swan.

* Will Smith and Djimon Hounsou were beautifully dressed. I couldn't get into Jada's dress at all.

* I loved Gwynneth's dress (and yes, she really does need to get over herself), and like a running theme, I may be the only one.

* Is it just me, or was the trend this year to have your long hair down down, way down, and stick straight?

* Very best dress of the entire night? Anika Noni Rose (performing). It was unbelieveable.

Ok, shutting up now.

elizabethkott
02-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Amen, sister.

Am I the only one who didn't outright love Nicole Kidman's dress? I mean, the cut was beautiful on her, and she was stunning in red, but what was up with the huge bow on the shoulder thing that tailed down to the floor?

Globetrotter
02-27-2007, 02:26 PM
You are not the only one. I hated that bow!

Kris

Globetrotter
02-27-2007, 02:30 PM
I loved Ellen on the show. I really like her style!

As for the fashions, my faves were:

Anika Noni Rose (red one worn during the song)
Kate Winslet (I love her, anyway!)
Helen Mirren
Gweneth Paltrow
J . Lo

Beyonce is gorgeous, but I didn't like her red carpet dress so much.

I thought Cameron Diaz looked like she just got out of bed. I know I am very unhip but the messy hair didn't do it for me. I didn't like that silver jacket that Jennifer Hudson wore, though I'm thrilled that she won!

pb&j
02-27-2007, 02:36 PM
>* Open Letter to Merryl Streep: I love you; I want you to
>know that right off the bat. I will continue to love you.
>However, I think what happened to you at the Oscars this year
>was that you decided you weren't gonna win, so why make an
>effort, and just took whatever you had out of your closet and
>didn't wash your hair, either, and then also put on that big
>beady shahman necklas thing and said, ok, we're off to see the
>wizard. In your favor: At least it wasn't a swan.
>

Bwahahahaha! Thank you for saying EXACTLY what I was thinking but couldn't verbalize.

FWIW, I also hated J Lo's dress.

-Ry,
and my girl in heaven

psophia17
02-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Meryl Streep's dress didn't even register on me...what did it look like?

Naomi Watts' dress was a copycat of Cate Blanchett's dress from last year, maybe the year before, I think...

I thought Queen Latifah's dress was awful on her. It was so structured, it made her look like an over-stuffed sausage.

pb&j
02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Meryl Streep's dress was a black sack. She accessorized with mussed, stringy hair, and several strands of big, long hippie beads.

-Ry,
and my girl in heaven

jenjenfirenjen
02-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Just chiming in since no one mentioned Cate Blanchett yet. I thought she looked totally fabu as usual. I agree Helen, Kate Winslet, Reese and Gwynneth all looked amazing. So did Rachel Weisz. I actually loved Penelope's dress but agree J-Lo, Cameron, Jada and (gasp) Nicole were all misses. I mean, Nicole looked beautiful and statuesque and all but that color was all wrong for her and the bow was hideous. And didn't Charlene just do the bow on the shoulder thing last year (or the year before.)

I wasn't really crazy about Ellen as host. What happened to the funny opening sequence? That crap with all the nominess BLOWED! Billy Crystal is the best but even Jon Stewart was better (loved the bit with him in bed with Clooney last year.) Anyway, I was loving my DVR so I could skip through all the boring parts until I caught up.

And yeah, poor poor Leo. What's it gonna take people? I hope he doens't wind up like Scorcesi and it takes him forever to finally win.

elliput
02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Helen Mirren- perfect dress. Shape was perfect, fabrics were perfect, color was perfect. I really want to look like that at 61.

Cate Blanchette- Wow. Stunning. She was gorgeous and the dress was gorgeous. Love the dark pewter color.

Gwynneth- she almost had it right. Color is fab, but the cap sleeve thing just didn't do it for me.

Jennifer Lopez- I am on the fence about this dress. Pretty, but... The worst part of the ensemble? Marc Anthony looking like he needs to feed before climbing back into his crypt before the sun comes up. Where's Buffy when you need her?

Naomi Watts- needs to fire her stylist. Horrid, horrid, horrid. Bodice is cutting into her cleavage, the "sleeve" things look like the whole dress is about to fall off, and if she is not PG she really should have worn Spanx.

elizabethkott
02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
>Jennifer Lopez- I am on the fence about this dress. Pretty,
>but... The worst part of the ensemble? Marc Anthony looking
>like he needs to feed before climbing back into his crypt
>before the sun comes up. Where's Buffy when you need her?
>
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

bostonsmama
02-27-2007, 10:24 PM
I guess Naomi Watts is preggers. Apparently it was confirmed last night by Liev on Conan O'Brien. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/27/AR2007022701595.html

As to the dress, yellow looks horrid on people with pale skin.

I actually like Nicole's red dress, bow and all. In pics, it's really not so big, and she has just the right amt of paleness to pull of the rich red.

Didn't like Penelope's dress at all, or Cate Blanchette's for that matter. I have fair skin just like her and that gunmetal grey doesn't look good on anyone of that coloring. Sorry. Nice style, though, and she carried it well for it being such a harsh tone. I didn't like the pale green on Kate Winslet either, although I loved the style. It was a gorgeous dress in shape. Didn't like Jada's dress (or Gayle's from Oprah's special). Hated the metalic winged Bolero on Jennifer, and apparently she didn't like it either (she said so discretely on the Today Show). Like JLo's dress (although I don't think refined when I think of her); loved Maggie Gyllenhall's dress (minus the feathers in her hair) as well as Emily Blunt's; loved Gweneth's dress. Rachel Weiss...your dress line on top was too low...looked awkward, although nice drape on the lower half. Fave dress of the night was Helen Mirren (I covet!), and worst dressed award goes to Meryl Streep (sp?)...so underdressed. But I'd like to see her EVER dressed up. She's got whacky taste like Diane Keaton....sigh. Such a waste of excess money.

gatorsmom
02-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Have to agree with you- that dress was stunning!!!! As for Ellen, I was bored. But I have an idea for next year- get Jerry Seinfeld. His short speech was fantastic.

psophia17
02-28-2007, 12:18 AM
I really liked Diane Keaton's choice, though. It suited her style...

Did anyone else thing she and Jack Nicholson were wasted when they presented Best Picture together?