PDA

View Full Version : OT: Stuipid Question - What Do You Use To Clean Your TV Screen?

randomkid
02-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Last night, I was cleaning the TV screen with glass cleaner and DH said that he thought you shouldn't use that on a TV. He really didn't have an explanation as to why you shouldn't, but said that he heard that somewhere. What? Why would it be a problem? I know about club soda to clean glass, but the glass cleaner was handy, so that's what I used.

Anyone know of a problem with glass cleaner on your TV or computer screen?

tylersmama
02-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Glass cleaner has abrasives in it, so it shouldn't be used on anything except glass (and most tv screens and computer screens now aren't actually glass).

I usually use a rag dampened with a little vinegar and water to clean our tv.

ellies mom
02-27-2007, 01:27 PM
You aren't supposed to use ammonia based products on a lot of the new TVs and moniters. I'm assuming it is because they aren't actually glass and the ammonia can cause hazing. We have some horribly expensive cleaner that does a really good job on our TV.

Pennylane
02-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Funny you mention this....I just shocked myself last night while cleaning the TV. It was turned on. Yes, I now know that was dumb. My dh just forwarded this link to me today because I was spraying windex on the screen of his new tv!

http://www.techlore.com/article/10066/How-to-Clean-Your-TV-Screen/;jsessionid=45A8CB112FD1DA88EE6410D406908A77

Ann

ctmom
02-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Unscented, alcohol free baby wipes!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

elliput
02-27-2007, 03:14 PM
I use a vinegar/water mix along with a microfiber towel to clean our TV and monitors. No streaks and cuts through oily fingerprints.

randomkid
02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
OK...Thank you! I should know that DH is always right about these things, but it just sounded crazy to me - what do I know? Guess I'll go the safe route and use just a damp cloth from now on!

shilo
02-27-2007, 07:30 PM
all the electronics freeks/geeks and techies i co-habitate and am friends with say no ammonia on electronics. apparently, you shouldn't use anything with solvents. so i've been instructed to use isopropyl alcohol, so that's what i use when i'm cleaning my laptop screen.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

writermama
02-27-2007, 07:31 PM
A microfiber towel (we have one for cleaning glasses, but I've been known to use others, too) very slightly damp with water. I also never do it when DD is around, because I don't want to give her any ideas -- I'd hate to come in one day and find she scratched it trying to clean it with a brush or whatever.

BillK
02-28-2007, 12:24 PM
http://www.screenkleen.com/ is what I use for our "plastic" screens - tv or computer.

maestramommy
02-28-2007, 04:58 PM
I think glass cleaner is fine as long as you don't spray directly on the screen. That is true for all electronics. Just spray on the cloth and wipe it. That's what I do anyway. I have also used Endust the same way on the screen.