PDA

View Full Version : Junk snacks at preschool

jenjenfirenjen
02-27-2007, 08:29 PM
DS1 started preschool in January two mornings a week. Each day, a parent is assigned to bring in a container of juice and a snack to share with the whole class.

The rest of the class started in Sept. He started late because he missed the age cut-off by a few weeks. As such, I never went to any orientations that might have explained what the snack policy is. However, I have been pretty unhappy with the choices the other parents have made. On a good day, the snack is usually Teddy Grahams or some other cookie type thing. On "bad" days, it's Dunkin Donuts Munchkins or Entenmann's Little Bites (muffin holes.)

The Parent Handbook states:

"In order to help children learn that all snacks do not have to be sweet, we encourage you to send in healthy snacks, such as fruit in serving size pieces, peanut butter and crackers, cheese, hard boiled eggs, carrot and celery sticks, and other raw fruits and vegetables, nuts, popcorn, pudding, jello, soup, etc."

I spoke with his teacher and she said that although they suggest healthy snacks they realize all families are different and basically say just bring whatever you want. As far as I know, he has had something sweet every day he has been there thus far and no fruits or veggies.

I am really upset about this and would like to see the policy changed and enforced but I'm a little unsure how to go about this. I have never met the director of the school (again because I never went to an orientation.) I don't know how involved she even is. When I called and toured the school and enrolled him, I always dealt with the secretary.

So how would you handle this? I hate to be "that mom" but I think these junk snacks are just ridiculous and I want it to change. I know there is one other mom in his class that doesn't like it either so maybe I should get her to go with me to talk to the secretary or director?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

SnuggleBuggles
02-27-2007, 09:14 PM
At my ds' school I can always just walk over to the director's office before, after or during class and talk to her. If I think of something after we left then I email or call. She responds quickly to emails.

If I were you I would personally go and introduce yourself to the director and share your concerns. It is always good to know the preschool director.

I think you are right on in your concerns. And I wouldn't really worry about being "that" mom. I cut ds' school some slack with their pretzels and goldfish snacks (not ideal, imo) even though I would rather their be more fruits and veggies. But, if it were like your school I would say something to the director and ask her to write a reminder for each family.

Till then, just do your best to provide a good, healthy snack when it is your turn. :)

Beth

dules
02-27-2007, 10:33 PM
DD's preschool is the same way. Some of us send healthier snacks but some don't. Then for us there's the whole allergy question - no nuts, no peanuts, no dairy, no citrus - this from a class of 8 kids. Knocks out a whole lot of healthy snacks so I end up sending a lot of pretzels, crackers or apple slices!

Mary

BaileyBea
02-27-2007, 10:41 PM
I agree w/you.

You need to go talk to the Director. If they can't find a solution then I suggest packing DS an alternative Snack just for her everyday. I know at DS's MDO when I bring snacks etc.. they are always fruit and I check and double check on allergies before deciding on what to bring. It's usually just cut up fruit.

Set up a meeting and write a list of suggested snacks. As the director if there is any possible way to remind parents to chose healthy alternatives. If this isn't a possiblility then ask if you can bring your own snack for your DS.

Nancy

jenjenfirenjen
02-27-2007, 10:57 PM
I defintely can bring in my own snack for DS but I know it's pretty unrealistic and unfair to expect DS to eat carrots when everyone else is eating donut holes. He's had donuts. He thinks they're great. He's happy to eat carrots or some other healthy snack when that's all that offered but I have no doubt he would choose the crap over the good stuff most times and be pretty ticked if he were not allowed to eat what the other kids were eating. I would hate to single him out like that.

Honestly, and I don't mind telling the director this, this is a make or break issue for me and I will look for another school is they don't firm up their policy.

BaileyBea
02-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Yeah! Heck I rather have a donut instead of carrots. ;-) hee hee!

Tonight I had 2 cookies instead of fruit.

Good luck w/the Director.

Nancy