PDA

View Full Version : Now pregnant women are supposed to eat fish??

SummerBaby
02-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Has anyone seen this? I avoided fish (except a few shrimp occasionally) while pregnant with DD and also with this pregnancy. I really hate how these theories seem to change day to day!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17177330/site/newsweek/

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

Another summer baby coming in 2007!

brittone2
02-28-2007, 03:13 PM
nak-
a lot of lobbying from the industry goes on behind the scenes, so keep that in mind. In pregnancy I only felt comfortable w/ fish that contain minimal mercury and few other toxins, like wild caught salmon.

LarsMal
02-28-2007, 03:54 PM
ITA with the changing theories. Somehow, between the few weeks my birthing class ended and DS was born, pacifiers went from *horrible* to helping reduce the risk of SIDS. This time around it was how to take care of DD's cord stump that was completely different from DS's.

My friend is TTC and her OB is having her take fish oil supplements. I *just* had a baby 9 weeks ago- why didn't I hear about that?!

So frustrating!

Fairy
02-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Yes, this is one big pain in the rear end. I ate really healthy while I was pregnant -- when I COULD eat -- and I stayed away from fish entirely. It was better for my peace of mind to not eat it at all, than to wonder, well, this fish wasn't on the bad list, BUT WHAT IF IT HAD SOME MERCURY?! That's the way I am. I worry alot. Easier to just not have to stress about it cuz where you're missing fish, there's always chocolate. I had exactly two meals of salmon, two shrimp dishes, and one crab legs. That's it. So, for me, if I got pregnant tomorrow, I'm still a no fish while pregnant person.

gina
03-01-2007, 01:28 PM
When I was pregnant I ate fish probably only occasionally like maybe a couple times a month but it was usually salmon and canned tuna. Canned is supposed to be better than fresh for tuna. I am a paranoid mama too but I pretty much followed the guidelines I heard at the time. And I LOVE fresh salmon. The only thing that made me paranoid was when some places did not cook it all the way. Depending on where you go, sometimes it is more like sushi. When we went to Shogun Japanese steakhouse I asked for my Salmon well done.

I think maybe what they are saying is that the benefits of the DHA from the Omega 3's that you get in the fish that is so good for the baby's brain. I wish now that I had eaten salmon more often. Because you really need those good fats, but you can also get omega 3's from flax oil and other places if you are not comfortable with the fish issue.

Also, as with anything else, I think it is good to vary what you eat because that way you aren't getting a overdose of one certain toxin.

Gina

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 12 mo - Happy First Birthday Olivia!