PDA

View Full Version : Know anything about The Marriage Course marriage workshops?

american_mama
03-01-2007, 04:18 PM
ETA: Need an answer quickly as the course starts tomorrow.

A local church is offering a series of marriage workshops called The Marriage Course, and I wondered if anyone has any knowledge of it. In case this rings any bells, the format seems to be child care, candlelit dinner for the parents, presentation, private exercise and discussion between the couple. See http://themarriagecourse.org/marriage/welcome/whatsinvolved/

My particular question is whether the course is religious, if so is it somewhat conservative/traditional, and in general what messages the course gives. Does it talk about men as heads of the household or how women need to honor and obey their husbands? Does it talk about Promise Keepers? If so, it's probably not for DH and I. I am ok with some religious perspective, but not a heavy one and not a very conservative or evangelical bent.

Also, the course was developed by the British couple who developed the Alpha course, as well as The Marriage Preparation Course for engaged couples . I know next to nothing about the Alpha course, except that I've seen it offered by both conservative and not obviously conservative groups. If anyone knows anything about either of these courses that might give me some insight, I'd love to hear.

DebbieJ
03-01-2007, 10:12 PM
You could always go the first night and drop out if it's too religous or not religious enough for you.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

kristenk
03-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I was in Alpha at our church. It was so many years ago, though, that I'm having a hard time remembering. If I remember correctly, I believe that it was fairly conservative. I remember that a strong stance was taken on homosexuality. I remember a litle bit of "man as head of household responsible for family's spiritual health (as in getting to church, encouraging prayer, etc.)". With all of that said, DH and I enjoyed the course and it brought up lots of things for us to talk about ourselves.

I like the suggestion to check it out and see if you like it, if possible. A babysitter and candlelit dinner don't sound too bad. ;)