PDA

View Full Version : DS starting daycare 2 days a week- please bring your suggestions!

clc053103
03-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Hello, DS (19 mo) is starting at a Goddard School in 2 weeks. He will be going 2 days a week. Since I returned to work, DS has been under the care of his grandmother, so this is his first formal schooling.

Anyone BTDT and have some suggestions to share?? My biggest concern is how he will sleep on the floor (yep, tile!) when he is used to a crib. I posted for sleeping bag suggestions on Around the House but the only recc I got was for my nap pak- which is not very padded at all. I want something almost "mat-like" on the bottom with an attached blanket and pillow. Any suggestions? And I welcome suggestions on anything, from how to make the first day easier, to what to pack in his lunchbox. I'm a total novice here!

Thanks in advance!

Courtney

tarabenet
03-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I made one for my 2-year-old niece when she started MDO this fall. I used one of those nice thick KinderMats, and made a cover with attached pillow. The silly thing is too big to fit in the storage area at school and has to be man-handled into place! The other kids in her class sleep on much thinner things. A couple of them are just on fleece blankets. They all seem to do just fine. I wish I'd made hers a lot thinner. Next year I will.

smilequeen
03-01-2007, 11:20 PM
DS is in Goddard School 2 days a week too, although he started when I went back to work, so he's been there a while.

Ours actually has cots that they nap on, so DS just has a portable crib sheet, a blanket, and a pillow. He is still the kind of kid who at home needs me to lay down with him until he falls asleep for naps, but he's always napped like a pro at school. I guess there is just something about all the other kids doing it, the soft music, and the teachers at ours sit between them and pat their backs, etc.

Our state actually also requires that the center provide all food, so I haven't packed him a lunch. If I have to leave early I bring him some cheerios and milk for breakfast though.

Have you been able to go in and visit with him at all? When we started him I took him for half a day to start, and then a full day, and eased him into it. At this point, every time he moves up a room, I make sure to give extra time that day so I can go in with him and hang out there, play with him, and slowly back off before I actually leave.

I'm not sure how much that helps, but fwiw, DS LOVES going to school. He talks about his friends and his teachers, and he goes in every morning he's there and waves at me and says BYE MOM! and gets right to playing :)

SJ mom
03-01-2007, 11:43 PM
My son's school aslo provides a mat. I know that PBK has a sleep mat with attached pillow and blanket-I have seen it in the catalog. Try onestepahead.com.

I too struggle with food ideas and have come up with:
pasta-penne, fussili, bow ties, cut small mixed with just some butter, or a bit of sauce.

wild rice with some butter
ravioloi cut up
sandwich wrap cut up small into individual "mini pin wheels"
Korean food =)

for snack:
inidiviual fruit cups
banana
crackers
apple sauce
raisins
yogurt drink
yogurt

traciann
03-02-2007, 12:10 AM
my dd (22 months) started daycare 2 times a week in january while I am in school. I took her to play one day before we had to leave her for an hour or two to get her (and me) more comfortable. she did cry when i left her the first time, and then the next week as well but I said goodbye quickly and didn't hang around. now when I ask dd if she want to see her teacher she starts clapping. she is totally happy there. ours provides food, so can't help you there. they do sleep on mats, and its the craziest thing to watch. i was there once when their mats (we bring a crib sheet and blanket) were laided out for nap time...these kids ran directly to their mats to lay down as soon as they were put down. i think kids are way smarter than we give them credit for. dd has no problems sleeping and now insists I cover her up with a blanket like her teacher does. so i don't think you need to provide anything too fancy...unless that is what they ask for. good luck!

clc053103
03-02-2007, 09:41 AM
thank you all for your responses!!! I was looking at an item with a Kindermat on the bottom- thanks for sharing that it won't fit in the cubbie b/c I think they will have an issue with that! I will just look for a nice padded sleeping bag.

I appreciate the lunch ideas too- I found out that they have "pizza day" one of the days he is there so at least I won't have to think of one meal! I can just pack some cut up fruit or something to go along with it.

We have had the opportunity to take him in the classroom to play once, and I am scheduled to take him back the Monday of the week he is going to get him acclimated- he will attend Wed and Fri.

I really appreciate the support and encouragement of you all. It's nice to feel not so alone in this! I am sure he will benefit from this time- making friends and learning.

I welcome any other suggestions!

Courtney

mommy111
03-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Your DS may or may not have this, but my DD used to cry her heart out every time I mentioned going to school. Eventually I realized she was doing it just for my benefit :). She would stop as soon as I left. So if your DS does that, don't be too upset.
Also, in terms of snacks, we've done:
cut-up fruit
whole bananas
cereal
yogurt
cut-up french toast
HTH

clc053103
03-02-2007, 03:55 PM
This is a silly question I think- but will someone help him eat something like yogurt? He can use a fork pretty well, but hasn't mastered (or even shown interest in) the spoon!

mommy111
03-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Not a silly question at all, some do and some don't...its dependant on the student:teacher ratio, the teachers themselves and the school's philosophy. My daycare would not help her, but it would let her make as much of a mess as she wanted and cleaned up after DD. She learnt pretty fast, since seeing other kids sitting and eating with spoons is pretty motivating. I would ask the teacher beforehand, and let her know that he doesn't know how to eat with a spoon. Also, just to be safe, on the days when you give him yogurt, also pack some finger foods. But you'll be surprised at how soon he learns to use a spoon there! Peer imitation is pretty strong!

erosenst
03-02-2007, 10:22 PM
FWIW, Abby's been at Goddard since August, and was at a similar center before that. She *loves* it.

The state requires a cot (about an inch off the ground) so we only had to provide crib sheet, blanket, and pillow. Your state may be different, but ours requires that EVERYTHING fit in their cubby, including extra clothes - so keep that in mind/check that out when planning. You didn't mention it, but I'm guessing they also told you that you need to leave extra clothes there as well. I'd suggest two outfits - there's some law at that age that if they get one dirty/wet/whatever, the next one's not far behind.

Our state doesn't allow food to be brought in after the toddler room, so we don't take any any more. One thing to check - it's probably a peanut free school, so peanut butter etc. aren't ok. Some things that are:

* Hummus and pita and/or carrots
* Yogurt - I agree with the PP that he'll quickly learn to be ok with a spoon. Someone suggested one (maybe by Sassy?) that has holes in it. It seems counterintuitive, but it helps hold the yogurt on. Abby still uses hers, although regular silverware for everything other than yogurt.
* Turkey sandwich
* Cheese cubes and crackers or mini-bagel
* Any veggies cut up, with a little thing of "dip"
* Same for fruits - but cut up, peeled, etc as the teachers won't have time
* Raisins
* Pretzels

If he has a lovey, try to get one that you can keep there so you don't have to remember to drag it back and forth each day.

Once you get the routine down, try to have a quick drop-off routine - put away coat etc, one quick hug, one quick kiss, and a bye-bye. Most kids struggle if you stay much longer. It also may seem cruel - but if he starts crying, keep walking. A good DCP will distract and comfort him, and he'll likely calm down something close to instantly. If you stay, it just reinforces that crying works. At that age, Abby was much happier if she was handed directly to the caregiver, but all kids are different.

If they don't have a CC tv (our first center did, which I loved) ask the director/asst director to peek in after a couple of minutes and report to you while you wait out of sight. Once you're more comfortable, feel free to call later to check to make sure he calmed down rather than waiting.

Good luck -

clc053103
03-03-2007, 11:52 AM
I am waiting for my handbook to arrive so I haven't been given a lot of instruction yet- so I am learning a lot in your responses!

I ordered a sleeping bag/nap mat from Pottery Barn, and I have a spare lovey (it's a taggie- the spare is an exact duplicate) for nap time. I only wish I didn't have to bring the food! HEHE My DN goes to a Bright Horizons- captive daycare for a corporation- and they have a chef that prepares all meals. It's not very common around here (we are in PA).

DS has been left at the gym child care and tennis club child care- they also encourage you to say goodbye and leave as most kids stop crying the second you round the corner. That's going to be my plan for Goddard as well.

Do you bring supplies in every day, or just leave the spare clothes, taggie etc in his/her cubbie each day?

I'm going to look for that sassy spoon for yogurt too- thanks for the tip!

Courtney

erosenst
03-03-2007, 07:53 PM
DEFINITELY leave the stuff there - you have MORE than enough to worry about without that, too. If there's room in the cubby, leave an extra hat and mittens, too - you'll invariably forget those one day, even if you plan to have him wear/bring them daily.

Some teachers appreciate when outfits are in individual ziploc bags; others realize that shirts don't always get dirty the same day pants do, so would rather just have them stacked loose. Ask the teacher which she prefers. Also, remember extra socks - amazing how often those get wet. The handbook will likely tell you to take extra shoes - I've never done that, and don't know anyone who has.

Oh - one other thought as spring approaches - check out the playground. If it has mulch rather than rubber matting, you'll want all closed shoes (ie tennis shoes) for summer, as the mulch gets in sandals instantly. You'll also want him to wear socks with mulch.

That's all I can think of - but PM me if you have other questions as I usually don't check here that often.