PDA

View Full Version : Has your child had their adenoids out?

raynjen
03-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I was just wondering if my daughter's response was normal. In the last three months (since her surgery) she has gained 5 pounds and grown 3/4"! She was misdiagnosed with asthma for the three previous years and has been on all kinds of (unneccessary) medications. We kept asking about her growth (or lack thereof) and were told, "well, you guys aren't tall people". Like I didn't know that! Hello, aren't you the least bit concerned that she's fallen off the growth chart and only gained 2 pounds in 2 YEARS?

I'm so amazed too because when they finally sent us to see an ENT he took one look at her, asked three questions (does she snore, does she eat very slowly, does she prefer to drink her calories) and called for an MRI. I just wonder what my darling, petite little munchkin (who constantly gets mistaken for a well-spoken three year old) would have looked like if they caught this three years ago!

Jen in Wichita
Mom to my beautiful little daughter, Noelle!

http://by.lilypie.com/yB-om6/.png

elephantmeg
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
I haven't but I'm a peds nurse, and yes that is pretty typical. I'm glad that you were able to have it done and that the results have been great!

newmomto3kids
03-03-2007, 08:46 AM
I could have written your post. Lily was diagnosed with failure to thrive at a year. She never gained much weight but was always average sized.
Then, she had her adenoids out at age 5. In 4 months (FOUR MONTHS) she gained 14 pounds and grew 4 inches.
She looks like a different kid. She is actually a little chubby now.
She doesn't snore anymore, hardly ever gets sick and eats all the time. The doctor said her nose was completely blocked by her adenoids and now she can smell and taste food for the first time.
She is really thriving. I, too, wonder what would have happened if she had them removed earlier.
Good luck!!