PDA

View Full Version : Whatever works, right?!

LarsMal
03-02-2007, 04:02 PM
So the only place DD will sleep during the day (besides my arms or the sling) is in her bouncy seat, in my bathroom! I guess she has gotten used to being in there b/c I put her in the bouncy while I shower. She almost always falls asleep to the sound of the running water. Now she'll sleep in there throughout the day. Anywhere else I put her down she starts screaming!

What "whatever works" kind of things did/do you do with your DC?

Oregonmother
03-02-2007, 04:17 PM
My DC only wanted to sleep in arms/sling when they we're little too. It was a difficult time, but now I look back and it really did go by so quick. You probably don't wan to hear this, because I wouldn't have at the time either, but try to enjoy this stage it won't last long. I also let them sleep on their tummies, I know big no no, but it was the only other thing that worked for us.

clc053103
03-02-2007, 05:00 PM
DS only napped in his swing. ONLY. We kept a LOT of D batteries on hand! Finally, he started nearing the 25 lb weight limit (he is a REALLY big kid so that was around 7 months). So when we went on vacation, we couldn't rent a swing, and decided to put him on a "swing diet" to prepare for the day when he was just too heavy for it. The first few days stunk, but he learned to nap in a crib.

But for 7 months, oh, how I loved to get that swing going and watch him sleep!

gatorsmom
03-02-2007, 05:47 PM
When DS#1 was 3 or 4 months old, there were a few nights I couldn't get him to sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time. The only thing that worked was to swaddle him, strap him into his bouncy seat and set the seat to vibrate. If I tried turning it off during the night he'd wake up and cry. so, I had to leave him sleeping in the bouncy seat all night on vibrate. It was only about 1/2 dozen times I did it, but it made me nervous. Maybe that's why he studders now....(just kidding)

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

brittone2
03-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Both of my kids have hated to be put down much at all. DS was a little more tolerant than DD, who is about the same age as your DD (2ish weeks older it looks like). She'll occasionally nap w/ the white noise of the shower and the fan in her bouncey seat as well, but that doesn't last long. She only naps in the sling or while held right now, and she's still only catnapping. She's been sleeping well at night so I guess that's the tradeoff ;)

WIth DS, I really let this frustrate me at times, even though I loved holding him. This time around I'm trying to focus on how fast this baby stage passes by, and enjoying the extra cuddle time. It is hard at times when I think about all I could get done around the house if I could put her down, but those infant snuggles are so sweet and she won't stay small for long.

ciaobella
03-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the reminder that this stage passes so quickly ... and for the reassurance that I am not the only one that spends loads of time holding my little guy!

LarsMal
03-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, she gets snuggled plenty! I have been trying to enjoy these baby stages, too. It can get hard, though, when trying to do things for DS with one hand. That's why I love the sling!

My favorite time of day is after her 5:30/6 AM feeding. For some reason she won't go back to sleep in the bassinet after that feeding, so I let her sleep on my chest in bed with us. She is so warm and snuggly :-)

tarynsmum
03-03-2007, 08:46 AM
For the first 5 months or so, DD only slept IN the bouncy seat, IN the pack-n-play, IN our bedroom. (the pack-in-play was at the higher setting, and the bouncy was sitting in there so that the back of the bouncy was against the wall, and the foot of the bouncy was against the one rail of the pack-in-play. We would swaddle her, then just sit her in there (without the straps), and she wouldn't scoot down because of the rail. Only way she slept at night. Seriously. She also refused to be laying flat ever, until about 6 months or so. (It was a fun time)

gina
03-03-2007, 04:44 PM
LOL

Mom to a sleep fighter, myself, I just was remembering the dreamy thoughts I had of a sweet newborn baby quietly sleeping in her crib. Remember those old thoughts? Haha. Now she is sleeping with her head in my armpit and her feet in daddys mouth. LOL

Gina

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 12 mo - Happy First Birthday Olivia!

cstack
03-03-2007, 05:50 PM
When DD was born, she did not sleep. Actually, she did, from 3:00 am to 3:00 pm. When I had to go back to work, I had to resort to the only place she would be calm and quiet and at least doze - in a swing - a crank operated swing. I'd put her in the swing, crank her up, doze on the couch, until the crank mechanism stopped. She would wake up, I'd crank it again, then doze some more. That's the only sleep I got for months.