PDA

View Full Version : Which boy's name is your favorite?

feierabend35
03-04-2007, 12:10 PM
We are due any day now and still can't decide!! DH and I are both teachers so we like unique names we haven't come across.

Any comments to your vote or other ideas are welcome!

Marisa6826
03-04-2007, 12:18 PM
I voted for Asher, but it's such a cool name, why would you abbreviate it to AJ?

-m

feierabend35
03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
We might not abbreviate it, but I like the option.
When you hear asher, you don't think of cigarettes? That was a comment someone made to me and now it stuck. I don't want a name my child will be teased with forever. . .

JMS
03-04-2007, 12:31 PM
I didn't even know there was a cigarette by that brand name. What I think of (and not a bad conotation) is an older cut of diamonds. It's really cool.

I also wouldn't abbreviate such a great name.

:) :) GL!

writermama
03-04-2007, 12:36 PM
I think of a book, "My Name is Asher Lev." http://tinyurl.com/32kqe7

I never read it, but it was popular among the boys I was friends with around middle school age.

Marisa6826
03-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Nope, never heard of Asher cigarettes. Honestly, it reminds me of a character from an Anne Rice book. He was actually quite fascinating. ;)

-m

SnuggleBuggles
03-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Not really wild about most of them and I fear that Carsten will forever get misspelled or mispronounced. I voted for Jeremiah. It is unique (since it isn't widely used) but it is a known name. It's also the kind of name that will hold up over time without sounding trendy. kwim?

I was actually reading reviews of baby names over on SheKnows.com and everyone seemed to have positive thoughts on that name. You can actually look up peoples' comments on all names- it's pretty neat. :)

Beth

ETA- but, I would revise my vote to be the name that you weren't going to use "_J" with because I like full names rather than initials. Just carries over better to adulthood, imo. But, that is just my preference. :)

feierabend35
03-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Not a brand of cigarettes, but the act of ashing the end of a cigarette.

It was one of those "can you believe what so-and-so named their son?" conversations in which I was thinking-- why, yes, that is one of our favorites!

denna
03-04-2007, 02:12 PM
I voted for Asher. I LOVE that name. That or Lincoln will be DS's lil brother's name.

trentsmom
03-04-2007, 02:44 PM
I really like the name Asher. It's a shame that it would never work with my last name! And I don't think of cigarettes, I think of one of the sons of Jacob in Genesis.

elliput
03-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Asher was actually on our short list for boy's names.

g-mama
03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
I voted for Asher but I actually prefer the name Ashton. I know you weren't asking for suggestions but thought I'd throw that out there.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

feierabend35
03-04-2007, 07:47 PM
No, suggestions are great. :)
We are totally lost on names so this isn't a "final four" by any means. I started liking Ashton but DH can't get over Ashton Kutcher. . .

tarynsmum
03-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Me too!

Although, I have to admit, I think of the song from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (yes, I am a huge theatre geek and know all the words...)

P.S., I voted for Asher, because I too LOVE LOVE LOVE the name. Seriously. Might put it on our list.

tarynsmum
03-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Me too!

Although, I have to admit, I think of the song from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (yes, I am a huge theatre geek and know all the words...)

P.S., I voted for Asher, because I too LOVE LOVE LOVE the name. Seriously. Might put it on our list.

JBaxter
03-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I voted Spencer. I LOVE Asher but Im not into nick names. Asher and Spencer will be on short list if we have another boy.

JBaxter
03-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I voted Spencer. I LOVE Asher but Im not into nick names. Asher and Spencer will be on short list if we have another boy.

american_mama
03-04-2007, 11:48 PM
I think Asher is getting really popular, as evidenced by the replies so far, and the fact that I know three, so if you like unique, you might want to be warned about that. Check out babynamewizard.com to see which names are rising in popularlity. I like Jeremiah the best except it is very long with your last name. I like Carsten as a name, but I personally would think someone named Carsten Feierabend was a German citizen and it might get old responding to that.

I like Spencer the best of the ones you've given, but think a classic and/or short first name would work better with your longer last name. Since you said suggestions were ok, how about:

James
John
Kyle
Sam, Samuel
Mark
Andrew (apparently, also popular now)
Daniel
Clay
Carl or Karl

american_mama
03-04-2007, 11:48 PM
I think Asher is getting really popular, as evidenced by the replies so far, and the fact that I know three, so if you like unique, you might want to be warned about that. Check out babynamewizard.com to see which names are rising in popularlity. I like Jeremiah the best except it is very long with your last name. I like Carsten as a name, but I personally would think someone named Carsten Feierabend was a German citizen and it might get old responding to that.

I like Spencer the best of the ones you've given, but think a classic and/or short first name would work better with your longer last name. Since you said suggestions were ok, how about:

James
John
Kyle
Sam, Samuel
Mark
Andrew (apparently, also popular now)
Daniel
Clay
Carl or Karl

jenjenfirenjen
03-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Hmm, I voted for Asher but it does sound like it's starting to get a little popular. Jeremiah makes me think of "Jeremiah was a bullfrog" but otherwise, I like the name. Spencer sounds like a kid that will get beat up in school but then there's always Spencer Tracy so that's cool. My favorite boy name is Beckett but DH says no way.