PDA

View Full Version : What is your fave tabloid/entertainment magazine?

supercalifragilous
03-05-2007, 08:05 PM
OK, I admit it - I read them sometimes. If I see them lying around in the waiting room, I pick it up and flip through it (it only takes like 10 minutes anyway). Will anyone else here admit to it?

What is your favorite and why (favorite section)?

I know that technically People magazine isn't a tabloid, but I put it on the list just b/c it does have some tabloidy things in there sometimes... Another semi-respectable one that I like is Movieline's Hollywood Life but it's not as well known.

Mommy_Again
03-05-2007, 08:48 PM
I know this sounds really silly, but to me, Us Weekly seems so much more "reputable" than all the others. Maybe I am biased; I've had a subscription for like 6 years now.

I also subscribe to Movieline. I don't consider it a tabloid- it is not gossipy, save for a few "blind items" they throw in there. I think it is a really interesting look at the industry, and, well, as the name implies - Hollywood Life.

punkrockmama
03-05-2007, 09:51 PM
I love me some good, juicy celeb gossip. US Weekly is my fave, it's like candy. People takes itself too seriously I think, and I just don't like the others that much.

For some fun online stuff try pinkisthenewblog, dlisted, popsugar, and idontlikeyouinthatway.

Um, I should say that my kids are well taken care of and I only get on the computer when they're sleeping. Yeah.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
03-06-2007, 12:14 AM
I have a subscription to People, it is not really junky, there are a lot of interesting articles.

I love Us Weekly but i get a ton of magazines already and i did not really need another one, i do buy it sometimes at the market/news-stand if i like the cover. I also like Life & Style and In Touch.

Basically i like all of them...

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

tarynsmum
03-06-2007, 08:50 AM
I like People the most, because it also has 'un-tabloid' stuff in there, but I also like USweekly and InTouch - we usually get the one that's the cheapest $1.99 or some such.

Although I must say, we haven't bought any in the past few months, because money's been tight, so we'v just been perusing the goss blogs - PITNB, TMZ, etc, and haven't totally missed them (the sites are more 'up to date' anyway, lol.)

My child is also well cared for, and, umm, OK yeah, sometimes I check out Pink whilst she's awake BUT NOT FOR THAT LONG!!! Don't judge me!!! LOL... :D

supercalifragilous
03-06-2007, 07:49 PM
How did you subscribe to it? Directly through the mag?

I used to get Hollywood Life - it just started coming for no apparent reason and no one told me they gifted it... previous to that I didn't know it even existed. After my subscription ran out, i wanted to renew but all the subscription services would redirect me to Movieline, not Movieline Hollywood Life (they are apparently two different magazines). Sure, I'd like to save $$ and go through a service, but I'd also like to get the correct magazine. I didn't really care for the regular Movieline at the time.

So, how do you get your Hollywood Life?

supercalifragilous
03-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Holy crap - the only one I knew about was TMZ...and I peruse that at work!!! I love all those snarky little captions! Reminds me of TVWOP (televisionwithoutpity.com).

Thanks for the other sites -- now I'm never gonna get any work done!! LOL :D

kboyle
03-06-2007, 08:15 PM
i agree with pp, people is a bit TOO serious for me if i'm reading for tabloid stuff, and US weekly seems pretty reputable too. if i'm going for juicy, possibly not-believable info i like star...plus i've got a free subscription for it that i cashed in some of charlie's airline perks in for (like he's flying anywhere anytime soon!) i do get inTouch if it's got a good headline, and rarely do i get people, unless it's got a GREAT headline or it's the 50 best....i do like people.com though

Mommy_Again
03-06-2007, 08:38 PM
As far as I know the two magazines you are talking about are one and the same. I used to get Movieline for years, and then all the sudden one issue I received was rebranded as "Movieline Hollywood Life." It was my understanding that the title 'movieline' was too limiting and didnt accuractely describe what the publication was all about, so they added "hollywood life" to the title but kept 'movieline' in there so loyal readers would know it was the same magazine.

Now, the only thing I can think of it that Hollywood Life was a separate magazine in the past and then they merged- since you seem to remember something else called Hollywood Life. But I am not aware of that. And I do not recall every seeing MHL on a subscription service- it is a pretty boutique-y publication.

supercalifragilous
03-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks for clearing that up - it's been a while since I've seen Hollywood Life or looked for it at the bookstore (which is the only place I can seem to find it). The place I searched for a subscription service was at www.MagazinePriceSearch.com - at the time they separated ML and MHL but once I went to the individual service, they all came up as ML only.

Now that they've officially merged, I will probably get a subscription and be safe in getting MHL!

nicoleandjackson
03-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Sheila--

You should also check out Defamer, and just for snorts and giggles, GoFugYourself. I think the two Fug writers are your long-lost pen pals.

I am an Entertainment Weekly junkie, myself. But Us Weekly will do in a pinch.

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

http://b5.lilypie.com/nD9Jm5.png