PDA

View Full Version : Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete's - Florida...suggestions, anyone?

pampamz
03-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Found the hotel, now what to do? I would love BBB suggestions on shopping, fun, dining BTDT?

TIA!

--------------------------------------------------------
DH & I are taking a kid-free break and can get a great flight to Tampa. What are some resort-y type hotels near a beach that we could consider? We would want access to a beach & a nice pool.

Thanks to all -- I know I have posted a few vacation questions and I appreciate all your help!
Pam

hudsonam
03-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Ooh, the Don Cesar is supposed to be very nice!

pampamz
03-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks! That is exactly what we are looking for!
But, it is booked up.
:(

mctlaw
03-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I lived in Tampa/worked in St. Pete until 1 and a half years ago.
If you want beach, try Tradewinds resort on St. Pete Beach. St. Pete is a little more adult and a little less spring-breaky than Clearwater Beach.
If you don't mind being on the "bay" side instead of the "beach" side (of St. Pete), the Vinoy is a gorgeous historic hotel.
Enjoy! If you end up booking there, let me know if you want dining recommendations. Also, if you like art, St. Pete has a museum devoted to the works of Salvador Dali; I think it has the largest colllection of his works except for Spain.

I live in the Chicago area now so I'm jealous right about now!

dylansnan
03-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Love, Love, the Dali museum in St. Pete.

Sorry I have no hotel reccomendations (I have friends all over down there- so never have to stay in one)

Just wanted to mention as the PP said- I'd stay clear of Clearwater from now untill after Easter, as it will be full of Spring-breakers- yuck!!

Have a great time!

ctmom
03-06-2007, 04:54 PM
We have family in the Tampa area so we go down there every year or so. We like to take advantage of the babysitting opportunities that we have, so we get away for a night or two when we go. We have stayed at the Don Cesar and it was very nice, too bad it is booked. If you don't mind driving a couple of hours, or trying to get a flight into Ft. Meyers, I would highly recommend South Seas Plantation on Captiva Island. It is one of my all time favorite places...
http://www.southseas.com

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Momof3Labs
03-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Stayed at the Tradewinds once; it was so disappointing. Felt very much like a HoJo's with the walkway running past my window and door. Some rooms face the beach, and the property itself is kind of pretty, but if I'm in Florida, I want a little balcony where I can open my room up and enjoy the weather when I'm inside. Also, the area around the Tradewinds is IMO pretty tacky - cheap souvenir shops, etc.

You can drive many places from Tampa in 1-2 hrs, is that an option? It would open up the possibilities a lot!

pampamz
03-07-2007, 11:25 AM
OK! We have booked a room @ the Safety Harbor Resort & Spa.

Now...what to do? One day is taken up w/a drive to Universal Studios (DH's idea...).

We are looking for shopping, fun & relaxation ideas! And good restauarants too.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

mctlaw
03-07-2007, 04:12 PM
OK, I've never been to that resort, but the spa is supposed to be great. As to Universal, just don't leave or return during rush hours.
If you want to check out an unspoiled, noncommercial beach, a short drive from Clearwater is Fort DeSoto park, a state park beach which cocnsistently ranks as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
I am not really a recreational shopper, but some great restaurants are:

In Tampa:
Berns steakhouse-is a 3-4 hour dining experience. It is a Tampa institution - not just a steakhouse-in fact I don't even eat steak. It is known for its service, huge wine selection, and a seperate dessert room. Definitely get reservations well in advance and save up your appetite.
For a lighter, more laid-back meal, try tapas at Ceviche off of Bayshore Blvd. They have 3 kinds of sangria (my favorite is the champagne). The food and atmosphere are excellent, and they have a sister restaurant nearby called St. Bart's Island House that is also very good.

In St. Pete, try Pepin's or Columbia; both are Spanish cuisine. Columbia is a little more tourtisty than Pepin's but still very good.

For a good, cheap seafood lunch, try the 4th St. Shrimp Store (also in St. Pete).

pampamz
03-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Thank you thank you thank you for these dining suggestions. DH will be overjoyed to hear about the steakhouse.

This is great -- much appreciated..!