PDA

View Full Version : Should I expect thrush from antibiotics?

LarsMal
03-06-2007, 01:13 PM
DS was never on antibiotics while he was BF. I also don't think he's every gotten thrush from the few times he's been on meds (I'm assuming I would have recognized it).

At DD's 2 mos check today I found out she has an ear infection. I was shocked b/c she hasn't shown any signs or symptoms. The ped put her on Amox. I asked about thrush and she described what it is, but didn't say if it was very common. Should I expect DD to get thrush, and if so, should I expect to get it, too?

How fun- I get to go back in 3 weeks w/both DS and DD for ear checks. Looks like they got their daddy's bad ears after all. :-(

juliasmom05
03-06-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't think you should expect that DD will get thrush, but it is a possibility. To lessen the likelihood of thrush, supplement her with probiotics. DD's been on antibiotics and oral steroids more times than I can count and has never gotten thrush.

Marci

klwa
03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
DS never got thrush from antibiotics & was on Amox. 2ce while bf & Omnicef 1ce. Not saying it won't happen, just that it didn't for us.
-Kris

punkrockmama
03-06-2007, 01:38 PM
>I don't think you should expect that DD will get thrush, but
>it is a possibility.

Yep. What she said. You guys may be troubled by it, or you may not. So I'd just be prepared. We are super prone to yeast here.

Ditto on the probiotics for you both (get the good refridgerated stuff at WF or something). Eat some yogurt, go easy on the carbs, you know, just some little things you can do to keep a leg up.

Hope your kiddos and their ears are doing fine. :)

LarsMal
03-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks!
I was just thinking I should pick up some yogurt at the store and have that in my system- hopefully she'll get some benefit from it, too.

I'll have to check out the probiotics, too- never tried that before. Unfortuately we don't have WF around us (major bummer) but our grocery store has a pretty good organic/specialty section so they should have some.

Of course she hasn't even started the meds and I already feel pain- HA!! I'm such a freak!

feierabend35
03-07-2007, 12:15 PM
>Ditto on the probiotics for you both (get the good
>refridgerated stuff at WF or something).

I ditto this totally! I knew nothing of thrush and got it big time with DS after I was put on antibiotics for mastitis. We battled it for the first three months of his life- it was NOT fun.
Now I do probiotics every time an antibiotic is given to either of us. :)