PDA

View Full Version : Peanut/Tree Nut/Sesame allergies Oh My!

kfk
03-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi everyone,

After waiting 2 longs months, Jake had his appt. with the allergist (and was a champ--no tears!). He was tested for 11 suspected foods, and is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts and sesame. His other reactions (tomatoes, berries, etc.) are not "true allergies" but just skin reactions (not that I'm going to start feeding him those items, because the rashes are bothersome). We also have to be on the lookout for other allergies that may appear once my boy expands his toddler approved repertoire of 20 foods (still better than his brother's menu of about 5 items!)

His allergy was classified as "mild" (he must ingest the item, or have it touch a mucous membrane), but we now are members of the benadryl and epi-pen jr. club.

I know there have been lots of posts, and I'm starting to review them, but I was wondering if anyone can point me to a list of manufacturers who separate their processing facilities. Turns out our bread, crackers, cookies, cereal are all produced in facilities that also process nuts. All my healthy organic go-to's (TJs, Newman's Own, Annie's) don't work anymore.

I did notice at Whole Foods that many of their "365" house branded items are processed separately, but WF is quite a drive from my house (I was in the area for my recent ultrasound)

Thanks for your help!

ilovetivo
03-12-2007, 06:20 PM
It's a really hard question b/c manufacturers can change their products ingredients, manufacturers at any time. Whole Foods isn't always what it seems in terms of manuf. They have lots of "outsourced" plants. You really need to call each company. Start w/ www.kidswithfoodallergies.org message boards and they might know more. Ian's Natural Foods has an allergy free line. Wellshire farms labels well. Applegate. Bionature. Supposedly all kraft companies would label is in the same plant as nuts/peanuts. Not sure abt sesame with all these since it's not a top 8 allergen. Hopefully you're checking out all my other allergy posts.

Was he tested via skin and blood? And personal reactions taken into account? A positive on skin and/or blood doesn't mean it's an allergy unless there's a history of it. Still need to avoid them though for preventative measures though.

Good luck!!

ilovetivo
03-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Erewhon cereals, Rudi's Organic breads, Healthy Times, Just Tomatoes, Leroux Creek, Muir Glen, Enjoy Life, Sensible Foods, Cascadian Farms, Vitasoy - you have to check for yourself though on each product for all companies i mentioned

ETA: Stay away from anything with Hain Celestial as it's parent company. They are notorious for horrible cross contamination issues. Everytime you call, you'll get a different answer.

almostamom
03-12-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm so sorry to welcome you to the Benadryl/EpiPen club. I promise, you'll get used to reading every single label every single time. As PP mentioned, the facilities where foods are manufactured can always change. Just because something was "safe" on your last shopping trip, you can't assume it will be on the next one. It just isn't worth taking the chance. I think the only thing we buy at TJ's anymore is YoBaby yogurt. Everything else there is a cross-contamination issue for us.

You might want to ask your allergist if he/she knows of a support group in your area. I joined a yahoo group for our area and have received the best information there as well as from the site PP mentioned.

You didn't mention eating out, but a few things I've learned recently:

Pizza Hut has peanuts in its sauce http://www.pizzahut.com/menu/allergen.asp

I've been told that these restaurants that generally cook in peanut oil:
Chili's
Fudruckers
Chick-fil-a
Great Steak Escape (generally in mall food courts)
Sizzler

HTH,
Linda

ilovetivo
03-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Peanut oil: in all of the Original Pancake House/Walker Brothers items

kfk
03-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Jake was tested on his skin and the doctor decided what to test for based on my reporting his reactions to various foods. He had gotten hives on his face from exposure to peanut butter and hummus (with tahini) after multiple exposures. Other tests (tomatoes, avocado) were done because of a rashy reaction. Other tests (egg, milk) were done because they are common allergens. And still others (soy, garlic) were done because the dr. said they are often hidden allergens.

My family doesn't have a history of nut allergies, but my younger brother has a deadly allergy to shellfish and bee stings and my sister had moderate allergies to many foods (and had asthma) as a kid (she took shots and was on a rotation diet).

colleenfs
03-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm so sorry. It's hard when you first discover that a food can kill your child. Julia (5) is allergic to peanuts, nuts, and sesame too, as well as cats and dogs. This was all discovered via blood testing. Her peanut level rose over the past year from 62 to 100. So that was discouraging. We don't know if she has a contact allergy or not, and I have to tell you that I'm terrified to send her to kindergarten next year. Her preschool is nut-free, so I am pretty confident that she is safe there, but elementary school is a whole new ball game...

We manage it as best we can, always check labels - even on things we buy every week. I just noticed that Nestle semi sweet chocolate chips are now "processed in a plant..." That'a a new one, and highly disappointing. I always knew I could count on them when making cookies. I was also upset when Annie's changed their packaging - no more bunny crackers here.

Do you know about Divvies? They make really yummy safe cookies. They even sell them at Disney World! http://www.divvies.com/facts.php

Best of luck to you.

~Colleen
Julia, 1-10-02
Emma, 7-27-05

“I do believe in fairies. I do, I do.�

colleenfs
03-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm so sorry. It's hard when you first discover that a food can kill your child. Julia (5) is allergic to peanuts, nuts, and sesame too, as well as cats and dogs. This was all discovered via blood testing. Her peanut level rose over the past year from 62 to 100. So that was discouraging. We don't know if she has a contact allergy or not, and I have to tell you that I'm terrified to send her to kindergarten next year. Her preschool is nut-free, so I am pretty confident that she is safe there, but elementary school is a whole new ball game...

We manage it as best we can, always check labels - even on things we buy every week. I just noticed that Nestle semi sweet chocolate chips are now "processed in a plant..." That'a a new one, and highly disappointing. I always knew I could count on them when making cookies. I was also upset when Annie's changed their packaging - no more bunny crackers here.

Do you know about Divvies? They make really yummy safe cookies. They even sell them at Disney World! http://www.divvies.com/facts.php

Best of luck to you.

~Colleen
Julia, 1-10-02
Emma, 7-27-05

“I do believe in fairies. I do, I do.�