PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: any advice on transferring hospitals?

megs4413
03-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Ok so we called the ped's emergency exchange and are waiting for a call back. i also told our nurse (when she finally came in after 2 hours...) that we wanted to get transferred. she was very nice and said her first move would be to call the pedi so we were just gonna see who got the call back first. as of right now i haven't gotten a call and it's been a good 1/2 hr. hopefully one of us will hear from the ped before too long. we might just be getting discharged. he's doing well enough this evening that we don't really need to be here, but because no one has been monitoring him i am not completely comfortable with just leaving and going home without a monitor at least. so we'll see...my dh wants to go home but if we get discharged i'd like to just go through the children's ER. we'll see...

i can't get into all of it right now, but we REALLY need to get out of this hospital and move to the children's hospital. any ideas how to do that? my pedi's phone system isn't working so i wasn't able to get through and she was supposed to call and i told the nurse that when she called i wanted to speak with her, but we haven't heard from her or at least the nurse didn't tell us when she called. i have no idea what to do from this point. i tried calling my insurance company and the automated system is telling me they're closed...i've called in the middle of the night before and i KNOW they have people there that can verify coverage 24 hours a day...what the heck? what should i do???? anyone know?

Lynnie
03-15-2007, 07:17 PM
what a nightmare. I am so sorry you all are having to go through all this.

I would try to find as many other numbers for your insurance company as possible - I know mine has a 24 hour nurse available, maybe yours has something like that. Maybe look it up online, and see what other numbers they have listed, too. And, I'd keep calling my ped, even at the risk of being a pain. Maybe some doctor at the hospital you are currently in could help you figure it out too ? Someone has to be on call, and maybe they could help figure out how to get a transfer, now.

I am sure other mamas here will have better answers for you. {{hugs}}

Marisa6826
03-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Ditto what Lynnie said. Keep calling the Ped and the insurance company.

Can you have your Ped return your call on your cell phone?

-m

maddyzmommy
03-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Check out against medical advice and go straight to the hospital you want. Call ahead to the ER to let them know you're coming and that you need a bed on the (whatever unit you're currently in) floor. If you can get an ER doc to accept you, there will be less hassle on the other end. Page your doctor again and when the answering service picks up tell them to let him know you're wanting to switch hospitals and you'd like to know if he has privileges there. That should get a call back in a hurry. It's a ton of paperwork for him and he'll want to know what's going on. Good luck!

Andi

megs4413
03-15-2007, 07:23 PM
if we sign out ama won't my insurance company refuse to pay the charges?

npace19147
03-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi Megs,

So sorry you are going through this...if you want to PM me your insurance company info I can surf around and see if I can find anyone for you to call, or any info on checking out ama. LMK!

-Nancy

phirey
03-15-2007, 07:40 PM
First, hugs. I'm on tonight for the first time in days, so I had no idea...

I ditto the AMA thing *if and only if* he is still on room air and relatively stable.

The official way to get transferred is to have a physician at the Children's Hospital accept the patient. *Insist* that social services get involved immediately, they usually orchestrate this stuff. If they're off for the night, start back with your ped. Insist he ba paged and stand annoyingly at the nurses station while it's done and then until he replies. If you get nowhere with that, first, "fire" him from the case -- yes, you can and probably should do that. Request the hospitalist be assigned and approve the transfer. If there is no hospitalist, perhaps the ER doc can do something.

You might also backtrack by calling the Children's ER and see if they know how to help. Certainly it wouldn't be the first family they've seen stuck in a non-children's hospital.

HTH

And more hugs.

ShanaMama
03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Megs! I knew I'd been away a long time, but didn't realize I'd missed major news. Congrats on the birth of your little prince! I don't know any details of what's going on, but sounds like you're in a tough spot. ((HUGS))
Thinking of you & sending you good wishes. I'm off to search for your birth story/ more details.
Good luck switching hospitals. Hope all goes well.

megs4413
03-15-2007, 08:20 PM
dont' bother looking for the birth story...i still haven't posted it!

AmyZ
03-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Megs -- any luck? DH dittos what others say that you *need* another doc at Children's to accept JJ. Call the operator at the other hospital and ask to speak to the attending on-call. Keep us posted.

Amy Z

Eliana 2/04
Abigail 1/07
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

icunurse
03-15-2007, 08:36 PM
While it is not 100% across all insurance companies, yes, your insurance has the right to refuse to pay if you sign out AMA. You also need to find out from your insurance if they will cover a transfer (mode of transportation, as well as the hospital that you want to switch to). Often if it is not a transfer due to insurance, a need for different services, or some other medical necessity, insurance will not pay for transport (though you will have the option to pay for the ambulane and whatever is neded during the ride - oxygen, nurse, etc. And you will need to get an attending physician at the hospital to accept you and verify that there is a bed available for what your child needs. Typically social workers handle tranfers (sometimes nursing staff), so maybe ask them to help you?

SJ mom
03-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Sorry to say there is no real "sign AMA" in pediatrics....They'll just call security or something like that. It can get quite ugly. If you PM the story and tell me where you are, let me see if I can help you in some way. I am a MD and may be able to help you manipulate the system

JustMe
03-15-2007, 09:09 PM
No advice, but just wanted to say I am so sorry you are going thru all of this.

Robyn
single mommy to a 4 yr old from Guatemala

Fairy
03-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Megs, I wanted to chime in here that I agree that if it were me, I'd go straight to the ER you want to go to as soon as you're discharged. Hospital stays aren't cheap, so if you can't arrange for the transfer in as timely a manner as possible, then if you feel comfortable with being discharged, then no matter what, I'd get to the ER of your choice and do it again. Very sorry you're going thru this. Please update when you can. -- Fairy.

sdoyle
03-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Oh Megs-
I am sorry you are dealing with this. I am a pediatric ED manager at a major Children's Hospital and this is what I would do:

1) Agree you should check with insurance re:AMA and paying. You can sign out AMA a pediatric patient if they are not concerned you are causing harm to your child and though I do not know the whole story here if they are considering discharging you they will probably be OK with AMA.

2) Once out, proceed to the Children's Hospital ED. Most CH's admit a lot of patients through the ED and they are obligated (by law) to see you no matter what. They are also usually academic institutions and you will go on a service there and see whomever is on service so no worries about your MD having "privileges" there or having a pre-approved "accepting" physician. They are not required.

3) To get help get out if you still can't do AMA, etc.- ask to see a social worker and the patient advocate. All hospitals have these available and they are there to help you and advocate for appropriate care.

Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any service. I don't know where you are but I can maybe give you some more specific info if I knew which Children's Hosp you would be going to.

Stacy

megs4413
03-16-2007, 11:11 AM
PM'd you.

gatorsmom
03-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Megs,
Just wanted to say we are praying for your family and your son. I can't imagine the struggle you are going through.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

sdoyle
03-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Megs- I never received it. I just PM'd you another way to reach me. Hope things are going well!

Stacy

elephantmeg
03-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Not always, but often times yes! Plus it doesn't leave a good impression with the hospital/doctors who you may have to deal with later. Hugs and hope things get better soon! I know a lot of our kids with chronic issues like clefts etc go straight to the university hospital (UVA) instead of us, if you are needing admission again before the cleft is repaired you may want to request to be admited there. I would ask to speak with the doctor and see if they can order you a monitor for home etc. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but hugs! Hope things get better soon. RSV is hard.

elephantmeg
03-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Just wondering how things went! Been thinking about ya'll....

:)

megs4413
03-17-2007, 03:43 PM
all my efforts thursday evening led to us being discharged at about 10pm. They felt he was ready to go home and somehow my pediatrician had failed to call in the evening like she said she would to give the discharge orders. So we left (cause we wanted the heck out of there) and went home. He did fine overnight and through the day on friday and then at about 5:30pm he started to have some trouble. He stopped breathing and I had to call an ambulance and the whole bit. It sucked. they sped us to the nearest hospital (absolute dump) and i IMMEDIATELY asked to be transferred when he was stable. So we're at the children's hospital now and they've been wonderful. absolutely everything i could ask for and very very nice. I am so glad that he's getting good care now and it really has eased my heart and mind to know that he's in the best place he could be right now. As far as his condition goes, it's minute by minute right now. We have no idea how long we'll be here or what obstacles we'll face in the coming days, but we're hopeful that things will turn around quickly and our little guy will make it through just fine. Keep sending those good vibes! Prince Charming's got a big fight ahead of him.

Thanks for all your support/advice. We have felt so lost and alone through this and it helps to have a community behind us!!!!!

elliput
03-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I think "really crazy" is a bit of an understatement! Hugs to you, Meg. And tons of get well wishes for your little guy. I will be keeping both of you in my thoughts.

chlobo
03-17-2007, 03:52 PM
More hugs and prayers coming your way.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-17-2007, 04:02 PM
all our prayers for your little guy. I'll light a candle for him at mass tomorrow. Glad to hear you're happy with the care he's recieving.

madelinesmom
03-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Wow... really crazy is really an understatement... Hope things turn around quickly, I am so glad you are somewhere you feel good about that usually makes all the difference in the world. Best wishes to a speedy recovery...

Jane
Madeline 1/20/03
Emily 11/29/05
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

momathome
03-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Hugs, Megs, that sounds terrible! I hope your little guy recovers quickly.

npace19147
03-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Oh Megs, how scary! So glad to hear that you're at a good hospital now, things will improve now. Please keep us updated when you have a chance, we're here for you!

kozachka
03-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Hugs, Megs. That sounds scary. I was getting goose bumps reading your posts. And glad you were able to get some good advice here and are in a place where you feel your prince charming receives good care. Hope he recovers soon. Keeping your family in my thoughts.

mommy111
03-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Megs, hugs to you and your little Prince Charming....and I'm so glad to hear that he is receiving good care and that you are satisfied. good luck in the up coming days, and hang in there!

scoop22
03-17-2007, 06:26 PM
oh megs.. i keep checking to see if there is any good news.. i am thinking and praying for you. i hope your family and prince charming can get home and start a new... hugs to you and your family!!!
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

mudder17
03-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Really crazy is right! I was hoping to hear better news about PC, but I'm glad he's in the best possible place. I can't believe the other hospital! I'll continue praying for him!

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

o_mom
03-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Hugs!

I know what it's like to have a baby in a non-children's hospital. We were lucky that the care was good and we were only there for a few hours in the ER, but having since been to a children's hospital there is a huge difference. They are just better equipped to deal with children and are more tuned to their needs.

I hope PC gets better quickly!

ErinMC
03-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Megs,

So sorry you're going through all this! I'm glad he's finally at Children's though, and getting good care. Sending lots of prayers!

Erin

Mom to Chase 2/2004 and Logan 5/2006

Roleysmom
03-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Meg, that sounds absolutely terrifying. I'm so glad that your little prince is now getting the best possible care. I'll be thinking of him and you.

Paula

MonicaH
03-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Megs,

So sorry that you are having so much stress and difficulty. I'm going to PM you.

Monica

maestramommy
03-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Wow Megs, you have really been through so much! But I'm glad your little guy is FINALLY in the best place. Keeping you all in our prayers.

muskiesusan
03-17-2007, 07:48 PM
I will keep your little prince in my thoughts.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Aunt to sweet baby boy
03-17-2007, 09:48 PM
So sorry that he had to go back to the hospital on Friday but i am glad that you are now at Children's. I hope that PC continues to improve.

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

egan284
03-18-2007, 01:41 AM
Megs, hugs to you and your little prince. I am glad that you can finally have a little peace of mind amid this stressful time. I'll keep him and your family in my prayers.

egoldber
03-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Bleah, how wretched. And how scary for you! I hate hospitals. I just really, really, really do. If I never see the inside of another one it will be too soon. I hope JJ is well soon.

purpleeyes
03-18-2007, 06:53 AM
We're thinking of you!! Glad you are settled in at Childrens, hope your little guy feels better soon.
Lots of prayers headed your way...

Beth

LarsMal
03-18-2007, 09:00 AM
I hope JJ is doing better. I can't imagine what you guys are going through.

Thinking of you and wishing that everything starts looking up soon.

stefani
03-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi Megs,

Sending you and your Prince Charming good health vibes and thoughts.
Hugs,

kaylinsmommy2
03-18-2007, 12:02 PM
I've had you and JJ in my thoughts all week. Hugs to you and your family.

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04 and Carter 3/8/07