PDA

View Full Version : Will our 2 1/2 year old be angry at us?

lilycat88
03-16-2007, 02:03 PM
We had to send our daughter to stay with my parents while my sister-in-law had her second craniotomy in 13 days to remove a brain tumor. We had no childcare due to her preschool's spring break and we have no other family in town. So, she's been with my parents having a wonderful time for 4 days. I just heard her say to my mom that she didn't want to go home. BAH!

I know I'm being silly but we've been so stressed for so long that I'm worried we've scarred her forever. Repeat...I know I'm being silly.

Jamelin

Piglet
03-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your SIL and hope she is doing well.

Let me share my motto when things go nuts and I feel like I am neglecting my kids - "how much do you remember from when you were their age??"

Unless your memory is a lot better than mine, I don't remember anything from 2 1/2! You DD won't be scarred by this and won't be angry (well possibly for a few days, but really not longer than that). Kids are resilient and have a very positive outlook on life.

HUGS!

KrisM
03-16-2007, 02:42 PM
So sorry to hear about your SIL. I hope she's recovering well.

I'd look at it as now you have a nice, happy place to send her for a couple days for some nice no-kid time! DS spent 1 night at my parent's last August and it was really nice! DD was her, but only 2 months. I got so much done and was so relaxed :).

alexsmommy
03-16-2007, 03:02 PM
You're anxious, you're stressed, you're tired. Of course you are focusing on what you called a "silly" thing.
No, she will suffer no ill effects at all. If anything, you may have to reprogram her to understand that the world does not, in fact, revolve around her as it did at your parents.
Think of this as time that she built and even better and stronger relationship with her grandparents. She will love just as much as long as she is staying with kind, loving people.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

Beth568
03-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Jamelin, I've been thinking about you. I do hope your SIL pulls through well.

Don't worry about your DD. It's wonderful for her to have some special time with her grandparents, and I agree with everyone that, at this age, kids are resilient. She may be a little bit out of sorts for the first few hours after coming home, but then she'll bounce right back and be fine. The first time we left my DD1 with MIL overnight, she was about that age, and she was really angry with me when she saw me the next day - but by dinner time she'd forgotten all about it. :)

Give your little one a big hug and be glad that she enjoyed her "vacation" with your parents. She still loves you!

lisams
03-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I hope your SIL is recovering well, how scary.

She had a great time with Grandma and was probably spoiled a little (or maybe a lot ;-))! She loves you and you have not scarred her at all. If anything it sounds like she is a very secure toddler, something you should be proud of helping her become!

My parents just came to pick DD up for a sleepover and she didn't even think about saying good-bye to me, I had to ask for a hug and kiss as she was rushing out the door to leave with them! The best thing is I know she's having a great time.

You're a great mommy, don't worry about it!

gatorsmom
03-16-2007, 03:55 PM
While my mother was in her last stages of terminal breast cancer she wanted me to be with her but not to stay overnight at their house because she was in pain, weak, embarrased about her appearance, concerned about the noise from our son. My parents live nearly 3 hours away. So, we'd drive to their town 2 or 3 times per week and live in a hotel. DS was 18 months old. During the day while I was with my mom, my husband worked from his laptop in the hotel room and watched our son. But I use "watched" loosely because in order for him to get any work done he just turned on Sesame Street or planted our son in front of the DVD player. That situation went on for a month. Poor little boy was just pushed around from hotel to hotel and given Barney as a playmate. I was sure I'd scarred him for life or ruined his brain some way.

2 years later he is happy, healthy and teachers say he's smart and delightful. You'll get through this and your daughter won't remember anything except how much she loves her grammy. :)

We're praying for your family.
Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

npace19147
03-16-2007, 04:15 PM
I've been on bedrest now for nine weeks, my 2 1/2 year old DD now goes to playschool every morning and has a sitter every afternoon. *I* feel terrible about it, but she loves school and her sitter. EVERYONE has told me that at this age they forget about it and things go back to normal. Be glad that she's happy with the alternative arrangement!

Good luck to your SIL.

MamaMolly
03-16-2007, 08:18 PM
As my Aunt says, there is nothing Grandma can do in a week that I can't undo in two! ;-)

She'll be fine. And I hope your SIL will be well soon.

mommy111
03-17-2007, 11:49 AM
if she doesn't remember the stay, that will be a pity. cuz she will have a total blast with the grandparents. sometimes i wonder about our layers of guilt, my dd went and stayed with my mom for a month, 1 day into the stay, didn't want to come back. she was around 2, still rmembers it including the cats, still asks me sometimes, 'can i stay with grandma again in south africa for a while? you don't have to come along' :)
Hope SIL does well, and take care of yourself too.