PDA

View Full Version : X-post in Maternity - Do butt support girdles exist?

maestramommy
03-16-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't know if this exists, but please let me know. I've been having really bad pain in the butt area because my muscles keep knotting up. Generally they make it hard to walk without pain, and it always gets worse after I've been sitting. I've started sitting on a ball, which helps with that. However, today I suddenly started getting REALLY bad pain in the inner hip area in the front. It protests every time I put weight on my foot. I made an appt with the chiro, then rested for a while. The pain in the back is gone for now (wouldn't you know), but the pain in the back is still there. It's more in the base of my bum, almost where the leg ends and the bum begins. I've noticed that if I press on the whole area with my hand or "lift" it, while walking it doesn't hurt. This is also true on the other side.

Is this true for anyone else? Is there some kind of "butt" girdle for pregnant women out there that doesn't cost a fortune? I'm much bigger than I was in my last pregnancy and carrying out more, which is probably why I'm having this problem, at least so early.

I have a massage appt Saturday, and my OB appt Monday, so I can address it then, but I find that massage and chiro only provide temp. relief (as in 24-48 hours), so if there's something I can do on a regular basis I'd love to know what it is. TIA!

Piglet
03-16-2007, 04:23 PM
My prenatal yoga teacher brought something that resembles a bum belt to class a few weeks ago. She needed it when she was in a car accident, but it works great for all sorts of hip/butt problems. She bought it at a physical therapy supply store. It was pretty inexpensive. If you have something like that in your area, maybe see what they can suggest.

ETA: This is the one she had - in the picture is is worn fairly high. She said that you need to wear it lower down when PG - closer to the widest point of your bum, under your belly and cinch it up as tight as you can:

http://www.amazon.com/Serola-Lower-Back-Sacro-Support/dp/B000FJ7Z4U

Lilysmom06
03-16-2007, 06:02 PM
It sounds like you may have sacroileitis. It is when the joint that connects the sacrum (lower back) to your pelvic bone (ileum) gets inflamed. It is very painful - I know because I have had it for the past 9 months since my DD was born! My chiropracter said he sees some pregnant women with it as well.

I have the same belt that the PP gave the link to. I don't find it works for me. But, I haven't found much that does other than pain meds (not going to work in your case!). The belt is supposed to stabilize the joint, and cut down on the pain.

I have also been to physical therapy - again, didn't help me, but you may find relief with it. They gave me a bunch of stretches to do, but I also have a cartilage tear in my hip (all this from childbirth!) and this prevents me from doing many of the stretches.

The muscles may be knotting up because you are using improper body mechanics to compensate for the inflammation in your joint - that is happening with me as well.

I would ask your OB for the PT referral. Also, try a heating pad on the area - I have founds that helps a little.

If you need any other information about sacroileitis, let me know. I have become very knowledgeable over the past year.

HTH and good luck.

Kathy

writermama
03-16-2007, 06:19 PM
I had the same Serola support belt (recommended by my PT) and it did help me, though my symptoms were a little different. PT also helped.

You could try browsing around a medical supply catalog to see if there's something that looks right for you.

http://www.bannertherapy.com

or

http://www.hackleyhme.com/

might be a start

maestramommy
03-16-2007, 09:33 PM
All the links are great! There's a medical supply store really close by so I'm going to swing by this weekend and see if they carry any of these supports. Maybe I can try one on. That would be the best thing for me.