PDA

View Full Version : Artifical Turf: Any BTDT?

Zansu
03-19-2007, 02:02 PM
We're putting in artificial turf in the backyard. We live in the desert and I'm allergic to the only type of grass (bermuda) that does well here, so real grass is not an option.

Does anyone have artificial turf? Pros and cons? Would you do it again?

TIA

mypa
03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
We just put it in and love it. Be warned that there are many out there that looks really fake, shiny in the sun. We got Turf Tech and had them give us a referral to check out an install in person. Ours looks so good I can't believe it, very natural looking. We got the most expensive one that has the longer finer blades, the shorter ones looked fake.

The only con is that we have little rubber pellets on our patio.

Good luck!

BillK
03-20-2007, 09:22 AM
God I'd love to have artificial turf - and we live in Western PA! I hate mowing the lawn and dread it every spring.

Just out of curiosity - what did it cost to have it installed?

Zansu
03-20-2007, 03:35 PM
It ranges from $8-15 installed, depending on how large the area is and the quality of grass.

Zansu
03-20-2007, 03:39 PM
We're looking at two different brands. One requires filler and one doesn't (it has a layer of short grass under the tall grass to keep the tall grass upright). Did you look at both types?

mypa
03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
There were three kinds we looked at. The thicker blade "mowed" looking one they use on athletic fields, the longer/finer grass with a little bit of the shorter blades (this requires infill), and the longer/finer grass with dense shorter grass, in increasing price. The "moved" one looked shiny in the sun, dead give away for fake. We went with the last one and opted to get the rubber infill for added cushiness. You just end up seeing the long blades. The look is very natural and not shiny in the sun, well not any more than real grass.

Sitting on it is very comfy, don't need a blanket, and your heiny is dry, also no bugs. No mowing, no watering! Actually, we lay on it quite often and look at the birds flying overhead!

The cost was around $7-8/sq.ft. installed and it was done in one day, including demo. Our yard is not huge so the price was affordable, still it cost more per sq. ft. than any other flooring we have in our house!

We also put in a putting green in another area, that cost a little more, but it was a small area.

We like it so much and it looks so good that we may do our front yard! Definitely ask to see an install in person. Oh, and we got a quote from another company and it was significantly more expensive (2-3k more) so shop around.

I was really nervous about doing this but I'm so glad I did, these new artificial turf is nothing like the astro-turf of the olden days.

Franciscowhite
10-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Hmm im using artificial grass in my lawn and besides the swimming it is very good idea to have that grass because i cant give attention to my lawn so artificial grass solve my problem it looks always fresh and no need for cutting watering or fertilizing etc i just love to have that in my lawn..........

ilfaith
10-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Interesting topic. This year my boys are playing soccer on a field of artificial turf and every weekend I find myself wondering why we don't install the stuff in our own yard.

We're in Florida and I hate, hate, hate the St. Augustine grass that comprises everyone's lawns here. It's so rough with thick coarse blades. Walking barefoot isn't comfortable, and sitting on it is even worse. It looks and feels like the crabgrass we tried to get rid of up north. I asked DH why we can't plant the nice soft Bermuda grass that's used on the golf course that abuts our property (sometimes the seeds blow over and form nice soft patches on our otherwise gnarly lawn). The Bermuda grass apparently requires far more care and more water than we are supposed to be using. Perhaps low-maintenance artificial grass would be the perfect solution.

Cam&Clay
10-20-2011, 05:30 PM
DS1 plays soccer 4-5 days a week on artificial turf. My house is constantly covered in little black rubber balls. My garage has so much that it looks like we have an infestation of mice. They drive me nuts! Even though he is required to take off his cleats on the porch or in the garage, they somehow migrate all over the house. I found some in MY bathroom last night. He also gets absolutely filthy when he plays on turf, even more so than he does on a regular field. I love the idea of maintenance free but can't imagine even more turf balls in my house!

Melanie
10-20-2011, 05:38 PM
So, I'm curious, then do you have to vacuum it?

DrSally
10-20-2011, 05:40 PM
The thing I worry about with artificial turf is lead. DK if that's a concern with all types though.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-20-2011, 10:23 PM
I thought there was a concern about kids playing sports on artificial turf due to chemicals (lead? maybe others?). Is the artificial turf made for homes something different?

mypa
10-20-2011, 11:03 PM
DS1 plays soccer 4-5 days a week on artificial turf. My house is constantly covered in little black rubber balls. My garage has so much that it looks like we have an infestation of mice. They drive me nuts! Even though he is required to take off his cleats on the porch or in the garage, they somehow migrate all over the house. I found some in MY bathroom last night. He also gets absolutely filthy when he plays on turf, even more so than he does on a regular field. I love the idea of maintenance free but can't imagine even more turf balls in my house!

That's really annoying, but we've never had a problem with this, no rubber balls in my house at all. We do take our shoes off before coming into the house, though.

Zansu
10-22-2011, 02:03 PM
We had rubber balls/dust transfer onto bare feet for a few months, but it's never been an issue after the first rainy season

HannaAddict
10-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Tell me about dogs and artificial turf. How gross to p/u waste? Hose down? Considering it under play structure with padding and possibly rest of backyard. I'm not convinced yet and had no clue about rubber pellets so thanks for good info!

Cam&Clay
10-23-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't know about artificial turf used for private homes, but in the summer, the soccer fields are at least 10 degrees hotter due to the turf. It's amazing. If I have my chair on the turf, I roast. If I move it back to the regular grass, instant relief.

California
10-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Are you planning on hanging out on it? Artificial turf gets hot! Our YMCA has it on a field and it is uncomfortable for a good part of the year. Times when normal grass would be perfectly fine, that darn field is so hot my kids are sweating on it early in the day. If it's more decorative or for use in the late evenings/early mornings wouldn't be a big deal-- but anytime here after 11 a.m. on a sunny day and that stuff is HOT.