PDA

View Full Version : Mattress help!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
03-20-2007, 10:54 AM
I need to buy a new mattress for our bedroom. We recently moved and our guest bed was old so we threw it out. We are going to move our queen into there and get a king. Where can I get the best deal on a good mattress with quick delivery?

Thanks!!

Tondi G
03-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Have you looked at Costco? They sell Sealy mattresses for a good price! I got a Stearns and Foster mattress 2 years ago and we have been very happy with it! They aren't cheap but are a really good brand. Luckily we have a small independent mattress shop around the corner from us and they delivered really quickly and had the best price on this particular mattress/brand!

~Tondi

gatorruth
03-20-2007, 12:23 PM
In my previous life (before ds and dd), I sold furniture. DO NOT buy a mattress at Costco. They are stored in their store standing up and wrapped. How are you supposed to 'try' it out? You also can not compare prices from store to store. Each mfgr. will change one tiny thing about the mattress, change the name and price, therefore, it is hard to comapre apples to apples.

You and DH need to go together (get a sitter) and pick out a mattress. Lay down on each for a minimum of 5 minutes- bring a magazine if you want to. All of the 's' brands (Sealy, Serta and Stearns and Foster) are really good brands. For a King, expect to pay OVER $900 for a good quality mattress-- and don't be shocked if it is $1200. Always get the box spring (mattresses are made to work best with a box). The single sided mattresses are popular now, but if they offer an old fashioned double sided one, go for that kind. (A no flip mattress is like getting half a mattress...) A mattress should last about 8 to 10 years...

Good luck! Have fun shopping!
Ruth

Zansu
03-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Costco has some mattresses in-store, but most of them (and all of the high-end models) are not manufacturered until you order them. So you don't have to worry about on-end storage if you order at the store kiosk or online.

We went to the local mattress emporium and tested almost every mattress in the place. However, the price was far higher than I was willing to pay, and the salesman started to play games. So I took the specs of the mattress we liked best, and matched it up to the options at costco.com (they were both Sealys). I ordered online and the mattress was delivered about four weeks later.

C99
03-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I REALLY like my IKEA mattress. It was $450 for a queen. We picked it up ourselves, but I think they offer delivery to some areas.

DebbieJ
03-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Get a Sleep Number bed from Select Comfort!!

Not cheap, but it is SOOOOOOO worth it! Especially if you and your DH like different levels of firmness.

I have a 15% off coupon if you (or anyone else) wants it.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Mommy Of A Little Angel
03-21-2007, 08:52 AM
I was thinking about those, but I wasn't sure. Is the middle of the bed uncomfortable? I am one of those sprawling sleepers who take up 3/4 of the bed no matter what size bed it is. Drives DH crazy! Would it be uncomfortable? What about it in particular makes it such a great mattress?

Thanks!

set81616
03-21-2007, 08:55 AM
The middle isn't unconfortable but I could see a problem if yo and DH's numbers were way off. Our are 35 and 55. If you buy from the outlet it is 40 - 60% off and delivery is pretty quick because it is just boxes. It's great because each person gets the confort they want. I need a harder bed then DH so we are both happy. It also has a 10-20 year warrenty.
HTH
Shannon

BeachBum
03-21-2007, 12:55 PM
I have a friend in the warehouse mattress biz. He advertises in newpapers and often offers a "deal" on some junky mattress to get people in the door.
Anyway, he really does have nice mattresses a great prices--better than Costco. You can lay on them in his "showroom"/warehouse.

He sells by appointment only and you and your spouse have to be present. Negotiating skills are important :) Also, come prepared to buy if you see something you want.

I know all of this sounds a little.....sleazy? But it is a legit business. And he does have great name brand matresses at cheap prices. Low overhead because he sells of of a warehouse and doesn't have salespeople (appointment only).

I would shop around at a showroom, then check your local newspaper for one of these places.

turtledove
03-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Where is the outlet? DH and I have decided on getting this bed, but we put off ordering when they wouldn't let us stack the sale price and the 15% off coupon we have. Can you order online, or is it a physical store?

TIA!

set81616
03-21-2007, 06:26 PM
1-800-215-4593
I think it is just the factory. No actual place to go. Right now a Queen pillowtop 5000 is $899 and a queen plush 3000 is $499. Don't buy their foundations. You can get one much cheaper at a discount mattress place. For our gues tbed double I got the legs and foundation for under 100. It would have been 2-3 times the price though SC. Just make sure you get a foundation and not a box spring.
HTH
Shannon

turtledove
03-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks!! I will have to give them a call tomorrow.

hwin708
03-21-2007, 08:01 PM
I don't have any specific mattress advice, since I just picked our last one out by laying on a bunch and saying I'll take that one. So not much thought or research.

I do have a Fatwallet thread bookmarked about the W Hotel beds deal, which I plan on doing whenever I get around to replacing the guest bedroom beds. The current code is for 40% off, which makes it all quite a steal. Depending on location, some have gotten delivery in 1-2 days. So good bed, fast, and very reasonable.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=625405&start=0
The current code discussion begins on page 43.

kcimato
03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Can you tell me what the website is for theses mattresses?

hwin708
03-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Here it is:
http://www.whotelsthestore.com/item.asp?curr_item_id=5&cat_subcat_id=10

The link is in the first post of the thread I linked to before. I just linked to page 43 of the thread because that is where the current code is. The entire thread before page 43 has loads of info on the bed and the various accessories.