PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dishwasher detergent

jenjenfirenjen
03-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Has anyone used the Cascade 2-in-1 Action Packs? I need to find a new dishwasher detergent and was wondering how they worked (and was hoping to find out from others who had tried them before I bought the huge container at Costco.)

I've used the Costco Kirkland brand liquid and had crappy results. Lately I've been using Cascade Complete powder and it works pretty well but I hate pouring the powder since I'm usually holding a baby (to keep him out of the dishwasher) and it spills and then I can't close the little door on the detergent reservoir.) Also, about 20% of the time, it gets clogged and stuck in the reservoir.

MamaMolly
03-20-2007, 07:31 PM
I use them and really like them. I was using Sunlight liquid, then Palmolive liquid, neither of which worked for me. Finally I tried the Cascade complete liquid, and the gritty grime went away.

I'm kind of weird about the dishes. I make sure they are pretty well rinsed before I put them in the DW. It is cause I hate hate HATE when thete is food still on the dishes after I've run the machine. Makes me so nuts.

If I were you, I'd buy a small bag at the grocery store to try them, and then go for the Costco pack if you like them.

Good luck!

egoldber
03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
You know I never liked Cascade Complete, I always had issues with it. I much prefer regular Cascade. I have read several places that the powder is better than the liquid, although I can't remember why now.

anamika
03-20-2007, 07:51 PM
We love the 2-in-1 packs. We repeatedly asked the manager at our Costco to store it and we are thrilled that they now do (I like to think we contributed to that ;)).
Maybe it's the combination of my dishwasher/detergent but this is the only detergent where my dishes come out sparkling. I have tried a few others and nothing compares. A big tip I got from Cascade is to place the tab in the actual dishwasher itself (we balance it on one of the dishes in the lower rack) not in the compartment.
HTH,

almostamom
03-20-2007, 07:59 PM
We too love it. We have very hard water and the spots have disappeared with these (I sound like a commercial!) Thanks for the tip about not putting it in the compartment. I'm going to try it tonight! I wish our Costco carried them - perhaps I'll have to become a squeaky wheel! :)

Linda

KrisM
03-20-2007, 08:16 PM
I haven't used them, but Consumer Reports lists them as the best.

table4three
03-20-2007, 10:57 PM
I love them! I can get a big canister of them at Costco now too. I just put them in the detergent compartment.

http://b2.lilypie.com/K-PVm6/.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev230pr___.png[/img][/url]

searchdog
03-21-2007, 04:31 AM
We use these and I have no complaints at all. We get them in the big container at Costco. The last coupon book had a B1G1 coupon in it so we got two of the huge containers. We are good on detergent for probably a year now. DD loves them because we let her put them in the dishwasher, she is always very proud of herself!

kransden
03-21-2007, 05:02 AM
It really depends on the water you have. When I lived in St. Louis, I used Sunlight or Palmolive liquid. They both worked great. Now I live in Phoenix, and neither do a good job. So far I like the Electrasol 3-in-1 the best. I've tried Cascade/Dawn tabs, they are ok. My other problem with them was you have to have dry hands when you get them out of the package. The Electrasol 2-in-1 are the same as the Cascade to me.

So as other pp said. Get a small pack at the grocery store and see what works best for you.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

fauve01
03-21-2007, 09:14 AM
i haven't tried the action packs (happy with my Cascade liquid-- from costco), but i wanted to say that Costco has an awesome return policy. if you buy the big pack and don't like it, i am sure they will take it back. you could ask next time you are there to verify. (a couple times i saw people returning food-- a half eaten birthday cake, some pie. bizarre!)

anne

JTsMom
03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
love them!

momma_boo
03-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestion of just putting them in the dishwasher. I've had problems where it somehow gets stuck in the compartment and doesn't get dissolved.

But to the original question - they work great for us. I never ever rinse the dishes (except for tomato sauce b/c I remember the dishwasher manual said to rinse for those) and never have a problem with food stuck to the dishwasher (although I may find a renegade pea that didn't go down the drain.

momma_boo
03-21-2007, 01:47 PM
>You know I never liked Cascade Complete, I always had issues
>with it. I much prefer regular Cascade. I have read several
>places that the powder is better than the liquid, although I
>can't remember why now.

I think I once read in Consumers that the liquid does NOT have enzymes while the powder and the pac ones do have the enzymes that are better at breaking down the food residue.