PDA

View Full Version : OT - What does it mean to you to eat healthy?

Jenn98
03-20-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm curious what others think constitutes as "eating healthy?" Do you avoid refined sugars? Just restrict calories? No red meat? What are your rules for eating healthy?

wencit
03-20-2007, 11:02 PM
To me, eating healthy means lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, plenty of fiber, as well as a small amount of healthy fats, such as olive oil and those found in fish since they contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. I also believe that occasional indulgences are fine -- the key word being "occasional," LOL.

As long as I follow the above guidelines, I don't worry too much about refined sugars or red meat. I do prefer organically grown food if the cost is comparable to non-organic, but if there is a big price difference, I choose not to buy organic and then I don't worry about it.

Disclaimer: I personally don't always "eat healthy," but since you asked, that's my definition of it! :) I really admire those who do, though. I wish I could eat healthy more often, but the taste and convenience of junk food often get to me!

shilo
03-21-2007, 12:23 AM
for me, i consider myself 'eating healthy' when i am able to keep up with a fairly balanced diet and in moderation. i am a stress eater, so when i can keep up with the moderation bit - i'm doing well. i try to get in fiber and whole grains, especially at breakfast, tend to try for a good low fat protein source along with veggies and fruits (often that's a salad) and then dinner is a larger meal (not ideal, i know, but it's just how my day works out most days). most days dinner is balanced - but is often my highest meal both calorically and fat wise each day. i do eat red meat, i'd estimate at least once each week, but usually not more than twice. i don't do HFCS in beverages at all, in food, i try to read labels/avoid most of the time.

sooo, all that said tho, the moderation bit is still the biggest part of 'eating healthy' for me just because i have the metabolism of a gnat :).

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

julieakc
03-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Ditto what Erica said :-) including the disclaimer, to which I will add that I really need some help on practicing the occassional part.:9

niccig
03-21-2007, 12:53 AM
"To me, eating healthy means lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, plenty of fiber, as well as a small amount of healthy fats, such as olive oil and those found in fish since they contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. I also believe that occasional indulgences are fine -- the key word being "occasional," LOL."

I agree with all of this. I try not to buy food that has trans fats or high fructose corn syrup or too many words containing the letter X. I prefer to buy something that has more calories or fat that is real food and not something artificial. I think it tastes better and I don't believe chemically laden low cal/non-fat is healthy to eat.