PDA

View Full Version : OT - Wood Shutters?? What do you think??

annasmom
03-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi Ladies, long time no "see!" I have a quick decorating question for you all. I have a large window in our family room that I desperately have to do something with - our furniture is fading, FAST!

So, I called a guy who came to our home and he showed me some brochures for wood shutters. They seemed to look cool, but I have never personally seen such large shutters in a home before. Does anyone have these? It would cover a large bay-type window (actually 3 windows). I don't have the time to shop around, and do not frequent design magazines or web-sites.

I don't want to purchase these shutters ($$$$), and seriously regret it. Unlike blinds, the shutters would be a fixture in the room, and for the price, I would definitely be stuck with them.

firsttimemommy
03-21-2007, 11:01 AM
I looooove wood shutters. If I could have afforded them in my house I would have done it in a heartbeat, but they are significantly more than "wood" blinds :( I think they are classy and elegant and would look beautiful in a bay window. I'm no decorating maven, so take it for what it's worth but that's my 2 cents :)

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"If you could eliminate all defensiveness from your personality, you would not only have the best relationships in town, but in fact, you'd become the most loving and adorable person on the planet

Lynnie
03-21-2007, 11:05 AM
we have some and i love them.

but, since there is so much humidity where we live, we got them in pvc, not wood.

kelly ann
03-21-2007, 11:34 AM
We have wood shutters (off-white) in our dining and living rooms. I love them!!! You really don't need any other window treatments (curtains) with shutters and I have found them to be very durable with the kids - our dining room is actually the playroom. Also, I like how there are no cords dangling down - very streamlined.

Shutters are more expensive, but the look is so pretty. Go for it!

madelinesmom
03-21-2007, 12:23 PM
We did the same thing... pvc instead of wood b/c of humidity. I have them in my living room and breakfast area, they were still expensive but they do a great job shutting out the afternoon sun.

Good Luck,

Jane
Madeline 1/20/03
Emily 11/29/05
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

annasmom
03-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Yes, I should have said "wood-like" because the shutters I am considering definitely aren't real wood. Still pretty expensive thoughgh.

For those who have the shutters, can you still see clearly out of the shutters when the louvers are open?? I really don't want to block the view, but of course, I may not have a choice.

Momof3Labs
03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
We have wood shutters on many windows in our house (previous owner put them up). They are real wood, and DO fade in the sun, just so you know. They also IMO darken a room. We have given up trying to keep them open because they always seem to pull shut (the rod gradually pulls the shutters down into a closed position when we try to open them). In fact, I'm thinking of taking them off of our kitchen door and window which face north and already don't get enough sun - the shutters really darken our kitchen! I can send you a pic if you want - drop me an e-mail through the boards.

NancyJ_redo
03-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Wood shutters for my boys' room are actually being made as I type (ordered them a few weeks ago). The shutter rep told me, and I think I read this as well, that to maintain the view as much as possible, go with the larger louvers. For example, if you go with 1" louvers, you'll have a lot more of the louvers, so when you open them the view will be cut up into several rows. However, if you go with 2.5" or 3", when you open them there will be less rows, thus the view will be less affected. Hopefully that makes sense.

Anyway, shutters are very popular in the multi-million dollar homes in this area (which, btw, is NOT my home :P ), so I figure I can't go wrong :)

Andrea S
03-21-2007, 07:45 PM
We have wood shutters in our house. I love them. Our windows are floor to ceiling and we can open the top half only or the whole thing. There were miniblinds up when we moved in so with the shutters more light comes in. I have pics if you are interested I can email to you. Our family room has a large bay window.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/02
& Benjamin 3/06

madelinesmom
03-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Mine are the three inch and when open I can easily see out. In the summer I open them in the morning and don't have to turn the lights on until the afternoon when I close the blinds b/c the sun is getting bad.

Jane
Madeline 1/20/03
Emily 11/29/05
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png