PDA

View Full Version : What difficult questions is your DC asking and how are you answering them?

kozachka
03-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Today DS (3 yrs 3 mos) has asked me why girls wear skirts. H-m-m, because skirts are pretty. DS also commented that girls also wear pants, just like boys and daddy. Now I am just waiting for DS to ask for a skirt because it's pretty.

This past week-end, DS asked me why I have only one child. H-m-m, I could not tell him the real reason (DH was too hand-off for the first two years of your life, dear, and mommy is not interested in going through this experience again, especially in the light of less than stellar relationship with your father) so I said that we did not have a chance to have another child as we were to busy with him, work etc. and quickly switched topics. Hope DS does not grow up with a complex as result of it.

What difficult questions is your DC asking? I am curious.

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2007, 09:32 PM
He is asking tough questions about the world around him currently. The one that tands out most is "where does fire come from." Go ahead, explain fire to a 4yo. No short cuts allowed. :) Then there was an NPR story about an auction today (with a caller) and I had to explain that. I have been meaning to keep a notebook with me at all times so when he asks something I can't really describe in a clear way we can go home together and look up the answer online or head to the library. I do my best to not brush him off.

Just wanted to say that my ds was totally into purple, pink, dresses...and I had no trouble indulging that. It only manifested itself in some pastel polo shirts...and a pair of lavendar Dora socks with a bow that he wore everyday. :)

My friend's ds is the oldest of 3 now (and this ds is the same age as my ds). Her ds asked mine why he didn't have any siblings. His mom quickly replied, "remember, I told you that families come in all different sizes." It was a good answer, I thought.

Beth

egoldber
03-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Yesterday Sarah was asking me detailed questions about my C section with Amy, did it hurt, why didn't it hurt, what kind of medicines they gave me before and after, etc.

JBaxter
03-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Sometimes I found answering the question with ... Well why do you think? works the best. I vividly remember the how do babies get inside your tummy question when Logan was 5. The only thing I could think of was they grow from an egg. LOL he said oh ok and left it at that LOL.

egoldber
03-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Oh we have had mannnnnyyyyy conversations about the eggs in Mommy's tummy. Leading to discussions about the eggs in Sarah's tummy. And when those eggs will be babies. Zoiks! Sometimes when she is very full she says "Mom, I think those eggs are starting to get big!" LOL!!!

JBaxter
03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
a little OT but when Logan was 12 he had family life class I was 8months pregnant w/ Nathan. We had the conversation... "mom I know that if semen gets into a girls vagina she gets pregnant. SO to keep a girl from getting pregnant how far do you have to keep semen away from her vagina" <insert hind under a table> I told him 6 feet... he said OH ok. when he left the room I truely laughed so hard I peed my pants.

SO you dont always get the hard to answer questions from your little ones LOL

egoldber
03-22-2007, 12:04 PM
LOL!!!!!! Ah, the teenage years scare the bejeebers out of me!

sdbc
03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
We had a doozie last week. DH and DD are vegetarian, but I'm not.

DH and I were having a conversation about a conversation we overheard at an Indian restaurant where a person at another table was commenting on the lack of beef at the buffet (most Indian restaurants don't have beef because there is a strong reverence for cows in the Hindu religion).

DD asked what we were talking about, and I said "we were saying that they don't have food made from cows at most Indian restaurants."

She said "Oh. they don't have milk?"

I pause, think think think:

I said "no, they don't kill cows and eat their bodies." (not coming out quite the way I wanted it to, but true...)

DD says "the cow wouldn't like that."

I guess she took it OK. So far, when people are eating meat and she asks for some, I just say "that isn't vegetarian" and she says something like "daddy and I don't eat food that isn't vegetarian" and accepts it. I'm thinking that will change soon.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

anamika
03-22-2007, 05:16 PM
My 2.5 y. o. wants to talk to my mom. My mom expired 6 years ago and DD's only seen pics of her. I told her to talk to my mom's picture but she said very sadly," The picture doesn't talk to me, Mommy". Not sure whether to laugh or cry at that.
She also asked me recently if Grandma had a TV, but luckily she decided herself that my mom has a nice TV.
I do talk about my mom to her b'cos I don't want to her to grow up not knowing her at all but I wonder if I should stop?

MarisaSF
03-22-2007, 05:29 PM
The one that is currently stumping me the most is "Where is Mommy Duck?"

Mommy Duck is sort of an imaginary friend. She is invisible to my eye, but apparently quite real to DD. Of course I can never find her. She likes to sit on top of balls and wait for them to hatch. She often hides in the corner of the "ball room" (our "formal" living room).

kochh2
03-22-2007, 06:24 PM
OMG< today on my way to my chiro appt. my DS was with me, walking behind a young lady with special needs, as there is a speech therapists office right down the hallway, and as I work with children with special needs and have a very soft spot in my heart for them, i am so for exposing DS to diversity, and helping him have a sensitivity for special needs in general, but at 2 years 8 mos, he has little social filters at times, and the young lady was vocalizing a happy sounding hum sound as she walked, and Aiden said several times loudly, "what's that noise mama??" and i kept trying to say it's people's feet on the stairs, playing dumb... then he started making the same happy humming sound asking "who's mnaking that hmmmmm noise??' so i just said "oh, it sounds ike someone who's pretty happy" and he was ok with that... then on the way out another young man was behind us, and as i held the door for him and his father, the boy said "daddy, tickles... and then started saying Mama...." and Aiden said "oh, i think he wants his mama, here's his mama mom??? " oy, here we go again, but thankfully he was happy with the "probably at home waiting for him" answer!!