PDA

View Full Version : Crying and sickened about what happened to little boy in GA--What's wrong with our country???

Bens Momma
03-21-2007, 09:43 PM
I just heard the disturbing (disturbing is not even a strong enough word!!!) details about what happened to that 6 yr old boy who was abducted and killed in Georgia. I have to say that I am shaking and crying with a mixture of sadness and complete ANGER over it! We hear depressing and sad news everyday, but this is by far the worst thing that I can ever remember hearing. I will not go into the details but needless to say it involved yet another sex offender! I want to hug my kids a little harder now and it makes me worry that despite my efforts to keep them safe, that something horrific like this could happen to them!
WHAT IS GOING ON IN OUR COUNTRY AND SOCIETY??? It seems we are hearing more and more about sex offenders--increasing in numbers, getting lost in the system, and repeating their crimes OR WORSE! Dateline NBC can even do a regular series on it because there are so many perverts out there! DH saw how upset this story made me (it REALLY got to me) and he said "then why don't you do something about it to help? Get involved!" Even though I feel like I can't find the time to do everything in my life already, I think he's right. I can feel sad and angry but that does nothing to help the problem which it seems sadly is becoming an epidemic. Unfortunately I don't really know where to begin to help and get involved. Any guidance/suggestions?
Look at the power of this BB forum and all the great advice and info that is spread on here. We as powerful Moms (and Grandmoms) can make a difference if we get involved and work together! Look at the power of this BB forum and all the great advice and info that is spread on here. If you are as upset and concerned over this problem as I am I encourage you to find a way to help so that no child has to suffer like this precious little boy did again!!

Looking for suggestions to help-
Momma to 2 DS

Alice523
03-21-2007, 10:05 PM
I hadn't heard of this case so I googled it and found this:

"Please be advised that if you would like to get involved in helping Christopher's family or assisting with the fight for justice please contact Donna Jordan of The Christopher Barrios Foundation at 912-267-0388 of Sam at the Alliance for Christopher at 912-242-6665."

I have no idea if that is valid information. I'm sure there are all kinds of groups out there who could use volunteers.

I understand your sensitivity. Occasionally, a case affects me that way, too. I'm sorry that something that awful happened to someone so young and innocent. I will say a prayer for his family.

Bens Momma
03-22-2007, 08:44 AM
I hadn't thought to Google it. Thanks for the info, I will look into some volunteer opportunities that can make a difference! Even though we are all busy I hope others will consider doing the same. If we all do something, no matter how small, to help maybe we can turn things around keeping kids safe and sexual predators from getting out in society and lost in the system. From everything I've read a sexual predator can not be reformed, will repeat his/her crime, and may do something worse on repeat offenses. We need to demand stiff penalties, laws, and tracking as responsible parents and voters!!!

If you find out about this story in Georgia, please consider getting involved in some way. I plan to!

mommy111
03-22-2007, 12:39 PM
I just read that story, and I had the same reaction as you. I have never, ever, in my life, read anything more horrendous. A single crazy pedophile, you kinda think they live in this reality of their own, but to have 4 people involved and an innocent child....I just don't know what to say.

VClute
03-22-2007, 12:44 PM
I just finished reading the account, too. The death penalty is too kind for these sickos. It's things like this that make me want to bring back public drawing and quartering.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

Puddy73
03-22-2007, 01:18 PM
This is so disgusting. I live about an hour away from where it happened, so it has been all over the local news. Georgia recently passed a law barring sex offenders from living or working within 1,000 feet of a child care facility, church, school or "area where minors congregate," including school bus stops. However, a federal judge granted a group of sex offenders class action status to challenge the law and issued a temporary restraining order to prevent the law from being fully enforced. I'm sure we can all sleep better at night knowing that the constitutional rights of sex offenders are not being violated.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

MartiesMom2B
03-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Absolutely disgusting and there is a special place in hell for these people.

Inform yourself. Check out www.missingkids.com that's the website for the National Center for missing and exploited children. You can even learn how to volunteer for them. When I was in college I met someone who brought missing and exploited children to West Virginia.
It was amazing that a little over 10 years ago it wasn't even a national thing.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie & Mei

bisous
03-23-2007, 12:56 AM
I don't know why I even read these things. They upset me for, well basically forever. I can't even begin to understand this kind of cruelty and sickness. I am making a concerted effort NOT to read the specific details of these kinds of atrocities. I don't fault the media for providing information that these things exist but I personally cannot handle the constant barrage of these kinds of cases in the media. Yet somehow, I cannot NOT know about what happens to these poor kids.

I think that this case is interesting because in some ways it demonstrates just how someone could end up being so sick and twisted. This George Edenfield guy committed the crime with his parents! What kind of life must he have had. I cannot even imagine. I'm in no way condoning his behavior--it is still abhorent in every way. I just want it all to stop and I'm searching for a cause so I can subsequently find a way to make it stop.

I wish that I could personally help each and everyone of these kids. I've kind of constructed a game plan that helps me feel a little bit better. Every time that I am a more patient parent and more loving to my own children, I feel that I am in someway making the world a little bit kinder. I like your idea about getting together and spreading out our work throughout the network that we live in. This is what I try to do. I like to think that I don't know anyone like this particular family, but I do know many vulnerable children or potential victims, and I can continue to watch out for them and protect them to the best of my abilities. I don't really have any good answers but I absolutely hear you that something must be done. I absolutely intend to find an outlet for much good and to teach my children to change the world as well.