PDA

View Full Version : Cookie Magazien threatening collection agency

niccig
03-21-2007, 09:50 PM
I have NEVER subscribed to Cookie. I don't want the magazine. They've been sending me subscription/renewal notices and I thought it was a ploy to get you to subscrive. Now I get a final notice threatening to take it to a collection agency. WTF!!! I can't call until tomorrow. I'm going to tell them to back off or I'll report them...but to who? Has this happened to anyone else???
Thanks, Nicci

Jenn98
03-22-2007, 05:54 AM
I'd start with the Better Business Bureau. Good luck with this!

aidansmommy
03-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Yes! The same exact thing happened to me last week. A few months ago I sent in the postcard for one free trial magazine. I didn't want to subscribe, so I never did. They kept sending me bills and I of course never paid them because I didn't want a subscription (and they never sent me anything other than the one free trial.)
Then last week they sent me a collection notice. I was so angry! I sent them a very strongly worded email and a few days later I got a reply saying they wouldn't send me anymore notices, bills, etc. Like I have time in my life for this kind of hassle!x(

clc053103
03-22-2007, 10:59 AM
That magazine is awful. I had it for a year- at one time, I got an email asking for reader feedback- well, since I felt it was a big book of ads with no content, I was happy to give feedback that could improve it.

Guess what the feedback survey was about? Their ADS! AS in "Did you see this ad in the October issue" "How about this ad". I wrote a nice email back that they had a lot of nerve and that I would never surbscribe to their crappy magazine again.

I didn't resubscribe- but noticed I got another issue randomly last month after at least 6 months. I imagine my collection notice is next!

jgriffin
03-22-2007, 11:03 AM
All you should have to do with the bills that arrive after the free trial is just write CANCEL on one and send it back. But you do need to send them something (either money or a cancel notice), I believe they usually say this in the fine print in the offer.

What annoys me is when I start getting bills *before* I've received the trial issue. Um, no, I am not going to send you money because I haven't seen your magazine yet. Sheesh!

elliput
03-22-2007, 11:54 AM
We had a similar problem with Consumer Reports a few years back. DH wrote them a very pointed letter explaining that their method of bullying subscribers wasn't very consumer friendly.

sdbc
03-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Yes, that was in the fine print. I never, never, never get free trial things because of the hassle of having to actively cancel after the free trial.
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

VClute
03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
I actually reported them to my state's atty general. There have been a couple of "scams" here in NC where a solicitation that LOOKS an awful lot like a bill comes in the mail and the unsuspecting person PAYS it, thinking they OWE it. I also called Cookie and had them call off the hounds. I can't imagine this "marketing" is working for them.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

supercalifragilous
03-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Better Homes & Gardens did this to me a couple years ago and I never even asked for a trial.

I think they got my name b/c I had tried to subscribe through Blue Dolphin or some other awful mag subscription broker and never received the mag after 6 months so I canceled my account both with the broker and with BHG.

FIVE years later, I start receiving a bill, basically saying "You've enjoyed our magazine for the past 2 years, now you owe us..." The wording got stronger and stronger each time.

I admit I was being stubborn in not mailing back - why should I when I never subscribed in the first place (and even "canceled" the nonexistent subscription)?!?! They were billing me for something supposedly past due. C'mon - it took you TWO YEARS to realize I never paid a bill but you kept supposedly sending your mag anyway? Has your lone billing officer been in a coma the last two years?

I even ignored the collection notice and I never heard back again. My credit score is fine.

Don't you like that special touch where there is NO CONTACT PHONE # (not even so you can pay your "bill" by phone) on any of the notices? If they REALLY want their money, they'd make it easier for the consumer.

OK... done with my rant!

niccig
03-23-2007, 12:53 AM
I didn't even ask for a trial of the magazine. I don't like all the ads in it either. I sent a strongly worded email and so far just have a 'we've received your email'. I think I'll still report them...they shouldn't get away with bully tactics.

ShanaMama
03-25-2007, 09:40 PM
FWIW, I work in medical billing & have done some collections work in a previous job. We were told that if someone writes in 'Do not send me any more bills,' you have to stop. Sounds crazy, especially if they *do* owe you money, but that was the law as I understood it. In fact, our outsourced collection agency would totally quit accounts on which they received this type of correspondence.
Hope that helps someone, although you've gotten good advice above.

urquie
03-25-2007, 10:47 PM
i googled "'Do not send me any more bills" and found a form letter you can send them.

Debt Collection Practices - A Guide to What Bill Collectors Can and Cannot Do
http://www.larcc.org/pamphlets/consumer/debt_collection_practices.htm

How can I stop a creditor or collection agency from contacting me?

Notify the creditor or collection agency in writing that you do not want to be contacted anymore. Use Letter B for this purpose. The legal effect of writing such a letter varies depending upon whether you are writing to a collection agency or to a creditor. If you write such a letter to a collection agency, the collection agency should be prohibited by law from communicating with you again except to tell you that there will be no further contact, or to notify you that a specific legal action such as filing a lawsuit may be taken.

If you write such a letter directly to a creditor, the creditor should be prohibited from contacting you again. When sending Letter B directly to a creditor, you should add the following statement in your letter: "Any further contact from you about this matter will be deemed to constitute harassment and abusive conduct."

If you have a lawyer and you tell either the creditor or collection agency who the lawyer is, they are both required to deal only with the lawyer. They cannot communicate directly with you again.

Letter B

Re: Credit Account:________________

Dear Sir or Madam:

This letter is to notify you that I do not wish you to call, write, or visit me at
home or work about the money you claim I owe.

Sincerely,

niccig
03-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Thanks everyone. I got a response saying that wouldn't send anymore bills. Then they went on to thank me for being a subscriber. That really ticked me off, I NEVER subscribed. I'm still tempted to report them, it seems like such a bullying marketing tactic.

gina
03-26-2007, 07:28 AM
I think that is about the time you send the return postage paid envelope with your own threatening letter. Be sure to add something heavy like a lot of pennies to make the envelope nice and heavy (since they are paying). This works well with Credit card companies also.

I think you can also report to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Bureau of Consumer Protection but that may be more for fraud type problems. I know Dave Ramsey talks a lot about this kind of stuff. You might be able to find something on his website too if it ever comes up again.

Gina

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/ginaelms/Dec06020.jpg

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 12 mo - Happy First Birthday Olivia!