PDA

View Full Version : Re-name the new Disney princess

american_mama
03-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Last week, Katie (sillygirl) posted about the first black Disney princess, called Maddy, which I think is a dreadful name for the character. Let's see if we can do better.

Why do I think it's so bad? The character is French in some way and from New Orleans and, I assume, the movie is set sometime in the past. My problems with Maddy are: 1) it's too common in real life 2) it's not French enough (granted, Madeline may be, but Maddy is not) 3) it's too contemporary and 4) there is no ethnic vibe to the name. DH and my MIL, both of whom are black, said jokingly "There are no black girls in America named Maddy." (Disclaimer: I am not saying that is literally true, just saying that all three of us think that Maddy lacks any ethnic or crossover vibe.)

So, what are your ideas? DH suggested Colette, which got a big thumbs up from MIL, me and my brother. I also thought of Rochelle. Your ideas?

elliput
03-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Yvette
Chantal
Marie-Aude
Solange
Nannette

newmomto3kids
03-22-2007, 11:14 AM
I don't really care for the name Maddy either for a Princess. It doesn't seem to fit either the setting or character in this movie.
But funny enough, I do know a black Maddie and both the Colette and Rochelle I know are white.
No real ideas here....

egoldber
03-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Oh, I like Colette.

Dominique

Maybe Anneliese? ;)

gatorsmom
03-22-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't like Maddy either. Way too common. Look at the unusual names of the other Disney princesses: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle (it was unusual at the time), and Jasmine. And now Maddy. blah.

I vote for Colette. Very French, easy to say, yet unusual. Very pretty.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

Tracey
03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Josephine
Simone

coachkath
03-22-2007, 08:53 PM
I agree.
I liked PP choice of Dominique or Collette.
I know a Rochelle who's white and a Collette, Chinese-American. I know a ton of Maddy's (mostly Madison's, a few Madeline's), all white as wonder bread.
Kathy

CiderLogan
03-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Collette is perfect. Or maybe Camille? I love that name!

I agree, Maddy sounds so wrong!

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06