PDA

View Full Version : What is a typical class size for school aged children?

jess_g
03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Our school system has run out of money and they are going to make some drastic cut backs next year. They are firing 25% of the teachers in grades k - 12 (which to me seams like way too many) and closing one of 4 elementary schools. They say that each class will have an additonal 5 or 6 kids in it (since they can get rid of all the teachers they want to but they will have the same number of kids in town). That means my sons class will go from 19 to 25 kids in it next year. They are also redistricting so who knows if my son will have any of the same teachers or even be at the same school next year. Needless to say I am furious about this. I am wondering what an average class size is for first or second grade. It seams like way too many kids for a classroom. And each class only has 1 teacher in it, so the teachers will not be getting any extra help either. Its just such a mess. I hope it all works out, but I doubt it. We are almost thinking of moving over this.

Jessica.

JBaxter
03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
It varied when my older 2 were in school probably from 22-27 per classroom.

purpleeyes
03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
In my experience, the average size is around 20-25. I have worked in schools with 19, I have worked in schools with 35! It also depends on public or private.
It sucks that they are messing with your district like that! Have you heard if the teachers or the PTO's are trying to fight it? Around here a while back I believe the teachers fought some proposed changes by only working their contract hours (i.e. 8-3:30), so no conferences, no after school activities. It got everyone's attention, that's for sure!!

Beth

FiveLittleDucks
03-22-2007, 02:35 PM
My 4th grader has 27 in her class with no other help. My 2nd grader has 25 in her class and had a student teacher there for a short time. And my kinder has 26 in her class with a teacher and an aide ("helper teacher" as my dd says).

While I would be upset at the proposed changes in your school, they are not at all uncommon, unfortunately.

almostamom
03-22-2007, 02:38 PM
For the district I taught it, the class size maximums are:

Kindergarten 25
1st grade 27
2nd and 3rd grade 29
4 - 6th grades 32

HTH,
Linda

thomma
03-22-2007, 03:03 PM
I've taught second grade for 16 years:
Average is 21 or 22
Small is 19
Largest ever is 26
One instructional aide per grade except for kindergarten where every class has an aide.

For me it's not so much the class size but what kind of kids are making up the class. My hardest class ever was a class of 18. I have 21 this year and it feels like 30...a few behavior issues but mostly emotional/needy kids.

newmomto3kids
03-22-2007, 05:03 PM
My daughters class has 22 kids in it. There is an aide in the class because one of the kids has an IEP that requires it. The teacher runs a very tight ship and I don't see any real problems with the class size. Actually, our school has a very good reputation and I would say that 22-24 is the average class size.
Good luck to you.