PDA

View Full Version : I have a sinus infection that just won't quit!!!!

Tondi G
03-22-2007, 06:03 PM
I was put on a 3 times a day 7 day course of Augmentin. It seemed to be getting better but the symptoms didn't completely go away. I have waited a week now and now my face/sinuses are starting to hurt again and sorry for the grossness but I'm blowing green again!

I am SOOOO tired of doctors offices I can't even tell you. Between me and my children I feel like I am constantly making and going to appointments!

Anyone here know about which antibiotics are best for sinus infections? We have a brand name deductible so anything thats not generic I pay a ton for. I was almost called in Levaquin but it was going to cost me 130 bucks! I just want this to go away for good. whats the best! Oh and for what it's worth I was also using a sample of Nasonex I had instead of sudafed!

Thanks for any advise you have to offer!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

JMS
03-22-2007, 06:58 PM
I know this will sounds nuts to some, but seriously try a chiropractor! I had three or four BAD sinus infections when I was PG with DS. My chiro would adjust my face and it was almost instant relief. I think it's one of those things that can't hurt to try.

Sinus issues are horrible... GL!

SummerBaby
03-23-2007, 09:42 AM
I have a history of terrible sinus infections. 7 days of an antibiotic is just not enough. Augmentin is pretty strong so you may just need a full 10-14 day course of it. I had a very bad infection in the fall and after 3 courses of Omnicef, I was prescribed Avelox (like Levaquin). It worked very well. It's probably expensive but many times doctors can give you samples, or coupons to help you save money on it. I always asked for samples when I had no drug coverage. Also, keep using the Nasonex, it takes up to 2 weeks for maximum relief. It will also keep your nasal passages open so the infection can drain. Some people also swear by those Neti pots that you put saline in to wash out your nose, but I could never get the hang of them.

Hope you feel better!

Val
DD 2.5 years old
another summer baby coming in 2007!

jhrabosk
03-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Ditto the PP about doing a sinus rinse. I had repeated infections last year (although not as bad as you're describing...ouch!) and my ENT finally convinced me with my first one this year to do a sinus rinse. She felt that the gunk was so impacted that the antibiotic might not be able to do its job.

When I started having symptoms recently, I did the rinse twice a day and it never became an infection.

You can do a neti pot (health food stores sell them) or there are kits available in the pharmacy (I think my mom bought one made by Ayr) with a squirt bottle and powdered saline solution. Make sure you bend WAY over, so it doesn't go down your throat (I rest my forehead on the faucet). And do it a little while before you go to bed so everything has time to drain. :)

It feels SO good afterward!

My ENT is also a BIG fan of Mucinex to thin everything out. And drink LOTS of water. I also feel sometimes that a good dose of ibuprofen is helpful as an anti-inflammatory.

There's my .02! Hope you feel better soon!