PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for giving DD meds (successfully!)

LarsMal
03-23-2007, 02:02 PM
DD has her 2nd ear infection in 3 weeks- errr...

This time it's in her other ear, so I know the meds worked last time, but I have a really hard time getting her to take them. I've tried before feedings, after feedings, in between. She still gags it up, spits it out, and hardly gets any down.

Any tips? Has anyone tried the pacifier dispenser?

TIA!

Momof3Labs
03-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Have you tried having the pharmacy flavor it? Made a big difference for both of my boys with those yucky antibiotics!

I also found that keeping DS2's mouth open for a few seconds after squirting in the meds gave it a chance to get to the back of his mouth and made it harder to spit right back out.

Tondi G
03-23-2007, 04:24 PM
my child HATES taking meds and although it's a nightmare we found a way to get it down! He lays on the floor between my legs with his head over my leg.... head tilted back. I keep control of his legs with my legs. I found that if he could close his mouth he could get the meds to the front and then spit them out. I would keep my finger in his mouth.... behind his first molar (otherwise he'd bite me HARD). Slowly drip the meds in with a syringe (not the fat dropper that the pharmacy gave me... think a motrin syringe). If I kept my finger in there he would occasionally gag on the meds but they would eventually go down. Blowing in his face helped him swollow as well.

I've tried all the other tricks out there. chocolate syrup, chocolate pudding, apple sauce, blowing in his face... you name it! While he cried and was mad as we did it... it was over fairly quickly and I knew he was actually getting the meds in him!!!! Eventually he gave in (right at the end, of course) and started swallowing the meds instead of trying to spit/cough it back out! It was a little less of a battle.... but this is definetly a battle you have to fight!

What ABX did they give her? If it's Zithromax be aware that while initially it tastes yummy like cherry, it leaves an extreamly bitter aftertaste!!!! We attempted to put some in his bottle and then he refused the bottle.... my DH tasted it and spit it right out! So much for trying to disguise it!!!!

HUGS and Good Luck!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

LarsMal
03-23-2007, 08:29 PM
She is on Augmentin this time (Amox last time). Unfortunately, since she's only 12 weeks old, the chocolate and apple sauce tricks won't work ;-). I think I'll try blowing in her face and tilting her back more.

Thanks!