PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone's dc really react strongly to sugar?

SnuggleBuggles
03-24-2007, 07:39 PM
We have been babysitting a friends' 3yo the past few days while his parents are in the hospital having #2. His parents warned me that if he has something like juice he will get really wired for like an hour then totally crash (not fall asleep but his mood and energy level seem to take a major dive). So, I have seen that in action several times over the past 2 days. And it seems so extreme. My ds doesn't react like that at all.

Is it normal? Is it something that I should suggest she bring up with her pediatrician?

I only have my ds to compare with so I thought it would be good to hear from other moms.

I promise I haven't been overdoing it wrt sweets. He has had some treats (most while visiting his parents :)).

Thank you!
Beth

Melanie
03-25-2007, 12:35 AM
That has happened to my son. We don't do HFCS or other refined sugars (well, now that he's 5 I must as we "almost never" do them).

Is the juice real fruit juice or does it have sugar in it, too? He could be allergic to it, but I would imagine that any Western medical response would just be to avoid it.

JBaxter
03-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Mine doesnt do it with sugar but artificial colors and flavors set him into a hyperactive tizzy

klwa
03-25-2007, 05:11 PM
My middle brother and I were both along those lines. As we grew up, we grew out of it, for the most part, although people I work with can tell just by me walking up if I've had sugar that day. And blood sugar levels, etc always come back fine.