PDA

View Full Version : sun protection for a newborn

megs4413
03-25-2007, 09:27 PM
rules? tips? i think i used sunscreen with DD....but now i'm reading 6mos and up for that.....

bubbaray
03-25-2007, 10:14 PM
No sunscreen until 6m and keep them out of the sun (and off the water and sand) until then. No idea how this would work in a sunny place like FL or Hawaii.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

MarisaSF
03-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Our ped advised us to use a barrier-type protectant (like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) instead of a "chemical protectant" (example? I don't know).

He suggested Mustela (http://www.mustelausa.com/sun_lotion_50.html). I know California Baby's sunblock (http://www.californiababy.com/everyday-year-round-spf-30-sunscreen-lotion-2-9-oz.html) also contains titanium dioxide.

ETA from the CA Baby site: "The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) states that if exposure to the sun is unavoidable and your baby is under 6 months, a non-chemical sunscreen (like ours) should be used; consult with your physician. The AAP recommends that because an infant's skin is very thin and sensitive, infants under 6 months should be kept out of the sun."

I'm sure others will have more brands to recommend. I am not a huge fan of titanium dioxide for myself as it turns skin an ashy gray color, but I use it on the kiddos.

I always had DD in a sun hat too.

lisams
03-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Our ped. recommends waiting until 4 months for sunblock, but we live in AZ where the sun is intense most of the year, so that may be why they recommend an earlier age. I use California Baby on DD since it is not a chemical block. They have a fragrance free one that I'll be using on DS once he turns 4 months. Also, a sun hat to help protect their head. The few times I've had DS out in the sun (we're having really nice weather) I've kept a very light blanket over his head. His eyes are very sensitive to the bright light, so it helps with that too.

julieakc
03-26-2007, 12:14 AM
We took DS to the mountains when he was 3 months old, and I asked the Ped about sunscreen (because the bottle said 6 months +). He, of course, said the best thing was to keep him covered (hat, full clothing, etc.)...but that baby sunscreen was ok.

denna
03-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Hey Megs!

I would definitely recommend if you need sunscreen because you arent getting full coverage with clothing, etc. to use the CA Baby. Like pps have said it is chemical free so no chance of absorbing any yucky chemicals into the skin.

We took DS to the beach at 2mo and we just had him covered up with recieving blankets and then clothing trying to limit his sun exposure the best we could.

Drugstore.com, babycenter and Amazon all have great deals on California Baby products.

HTH

JBaxter
03-26-2007, 06:00 AM
I asked my ped why he said that no company is willing to test on a child under 6 months old. His advice to me was to keep them out of the sun as much as possible BUT it was much better to apply sunscreen than to risk them getting burned. I use california baby on Nathan.

SnuggleBuggles
03-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Our ped said that it was OK to use sunscreen earlier than 6 months. It just isn't ideal for them to be out in that much sun so the sunscreen people put that age on the bottles. But, he said it was fine to use but try to cover them up with light clothes instead, if possible.

Beth

brittone2
03-26-2007, 07:04 AM
We started using CA baby around 6 months. We went to FL w/ DS when he was 2months, and I used a solarveil sling to walk with him (SPF fabric). I covered his head and everything. It is mesh, so it was still breathable and let air through.

We also bought what my dad referred to as his Haz Mat suit. It was a long sleeve, long pant, all one piece white zippered outfit w/ a high spf. I got it at campmor.com for about $20ish I think. It worked great and left only his face exposed. I'll be using it again this summer w/ DD. It is really lightweight.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=6885033&memberId=12500226

betsydenny
03-26-2007, 07:32 AM
My cousin lives in Hawaii with her two boys and they used the pink Water Babies Triple Screen sunscreen from birth. She also kept the babies in the shade as much as possible but the sun there is very strong and they had to use sunscreen. Neither of her kids had any problems and we use the same kind and love it.

HTH!
Betsy

roysmom
03-26-2007, 07:32 AM
I realize how hard it is to give up the sun with a baby...yes, I am a sunworshiper. I use sunscreen myself, but I absolutely love summer time. Anyway, when DS was born in February '05, I couldn't wait to get him in the pool. Needless to say, our ped said AMSOLUTELY NOT!!! He informed us that if a baby, under 6 months, gets even a slight sunburn, they will more than likely have to be hospitalized. I think it was due to dehydration, but I can't really remember. I know, even after 6 months, DS would turn a little pink even with 55 SPF on. He is a medium complexion, so if your DC is fair complected, I would be even more careful. I know that there is 60 SPF now, so you might try that. Also, just keep in mind, it is only one summer that you will have to keep DC inside. Good Luck, and I would definately hunt for sunscreen made for babies. Adult sunscreen has way too many fragrances and dyes for little skin.

MarisaSF
03-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks for that link, Beth. I'm considering getting DS-to-be his very own Haz Mat suit. It totally looks like Haz Mat, by the way.

brittone2
03-26-2007, 08:13 AM
don't you know that all the cool kids are wearing haz mat suits these days??? :P

In all seriousness, it did work well though :)

gina
03-27-2007, 09:52 AM
One thing that helped us last year when we went boating was wearing a widebrimmed hat. I bought a widebrimmed sun hat at the boat dock and it worked great to help keep the sun off of me and the baby. I think it would be best just to keep them shaded or covered in addition to any sunscreen. I wouldn't take a chance with sunburn. I have had it too many times.
OUCH!!!

Gina

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/ginaelms/Dec06020.jpg

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 12 mo - Happy First Birthday Olivia!