PDA

View Full Version : Any Amaing Race Fans?

randomkid
03-25-2007, 11:02 PM
What's up with Charla and Myrna and their fake accents? The crazy thing is that they only do it to residents of the countries they are visiting. It seems that Spanish is the first language of Oswald and Danny, but they talk normally to them. I got an e-mail from a friend tonight and she sums it up best:

"Can I tell you what is THE most annoying thing? When Myrna and Charla talk to people from a different country in English, they take on this weird accent and speak without proper grammar, etc. DRIVES ME NUTS!!!

:)
Thank you, I feel much better now."

I noticed this about them the first time they were on and it seems even worse now. What gives?

shilo
03-25-2007, 11:44 PM
dunno what gives, but it annoys the heck out of me too :). actually, it's kind of funny, sometimes... this wierd english where somehow adding an accent to it is supposed to help a non-speaker understand. i don't get it either.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

SnuggleBuggles
03-26-2007, 06:26 AM
I made the same ommment to dh last night! I find it demeaning and insulting to the people they are talking to since they are totally talking down. And it is weird that it often has this fake Italian accent tinge to it. It just makes no sense.

I was so hoping they would have gotten the boot by now...

Beth

KrisM
03-26-2007, 06:36 AM
I completely hate it and just don't get it. Do they think they'll be more understandable with an accent or something? Just weird.

LarsMal
03-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Not only does the accent annoy the heck out of me, but why do they speak with improper grammar, too?! Last night, when they were talking to the travel agent they kept saying, "Why you cannot call?" or something like that. And then one of them (I still don't know who is who) was showing the agent, "You do like this- hit, hit, hit" for the numbers on the phone. How rude and insulting!

Can't wait until they're gone.

dontdoit
03-26-2007, 07:44 AM
I absolutely LOVE amazing race. However, I tivo'd it and because of college basketball runnng late, I got 45 min of 60 minutes and 15 minutes of amazing race. I got to the part where the guy and girl got pulled off the plane. If anyone could just give me the rest of the show in reader's digest version that would be great!! Did Uchenna and Joyce lose last night? I hope not-I'm pulling for them and Danny and Oswald.

LarsMal
03-26-2007, 07:49 AM
The Guidos, Ian and Terri, and Eric and Danielle all got left behind while the others pulled ahead. Then Eric and Dani got on an earlier flight than the other two teams.

Charla and Mirna came in first- AGAIN! They took a chance w/a flight that got them way ahead.

Danny and Oswald came in 2nd

Uchenna and Joyce 3rd. They took their penalty and no one came in before them while they waited.

The blondes were 4th

Eric and Dani

and the Guidos were last. The Guidos and Ian/Terri were so far behind the head of the pack that the sun came up while they were doing their Roadblock. It will be interesting to see how they catch them up next week (if they do). I think if they did the usual 12 hour rest period, Charla/Mirna and some of the others would be on the road again before the Guidos even got into the pit stop.

Edited: Guidos are still IN- Ian/Terry were eliminated.

kristenk
03-26-2007, 08:17 AM
For a WONDERFUL recap of the whole show, go to www.televisionwithoutpity.com and look for Amazing Race. It takes a long time for them to get it posted, but it's a great summary and totally fun to read.

kristenk
03-26-2007, 08:27 AM
The fake accent annoys us, too. Actually, Charla nd Mirna annoy us. They were speaking for such a long time last night in the accented broken English that I was beginning to wonder what they really sounded like.

Another thing that annoys us is the fake too-close-to-call-because-of-editing run to Phil on the mat. They ALWAYS do it and last night, there were TWO of them. Aaarggghhh! If it's really close, that's fine, but c'mon now!

clc053103
03-26-2007, 09:04 AM
ITA!!!! Myrna and Shmyrna have got to go. The most annoying couple in Amazing Race history. I couldn't understand the fake accents either. I mean, you're Americans and therefore foriegn already- what's with faking Italian or whatever on earth it is they are doing?

I couldn't understand why they were ever invited back.

MichelleRC
03-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I knew I could not be the only one who noticed this!

If someone doesn't understand English, they are certainly not going to understand Mirna's version of it with the random accent, hand gestures and bug eyes.

Ugh, they need to go.

Oh, and I had to laugh when Phil said they each won a catamaran. They were like, "Huh?"
It's a boat girls.

randomkid
03-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Oh yeah...that was hysterical - LOL!! When Phil said they had won catamarans, he looked like he was trying his best to not laugh. I think he knew that they wouldn't know what it was. Or, he was picturing them trying to handle one!

Thank you for all your replies. I just feel better knowing that I am not the only one totally annoyed by the broken English/fake accent thing. It's so condescending and offensive!

maestramommy
03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
I remember when I was in college I worked for a jewelry imports co. The dept I worked in had a lot of Vietnamese and Cambodian workers, all (with the exception of their children) spoke minimal heavily accented English. I noticed that their supervisors did the same thing that you talk about. I don't know why they did it. I don't think they meant to be insulting, it might've been subconscious, since they were listening to that all day. They might have also thought that if they spoke the same way they would be better understood. For myself I always found it a little embarrassing to listen to, because personally I think if you speak properly you can always make yourself understood, I mean as long as you speak clearly and don't use complex vocab.

dontdoit
03-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I really love this show-thanks for the recap. What I don't get is not only do they have fake accents on occasion, but why are they so rude? The little bit that I saw last night, with Charla going back behind the counter to watch what the ticket agent was doing was down-right rude. I worked for Southwest and I could never imagine a passenger just coming behind the ticket counter. They have no manners.

shilo
03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
"The most annoying couple in Amazing Race history."

oh, no way, flo and zack were the most annoying couple in amazing race history!!! that or the masogonistic dentist and his wife (i don't remember their names). not that i like myrna and shmyrna all that much, and i do find them quite annoying, but i can't think of anyone who could hold a candle to flo in any of the seasons. i have never been so disappointed at the outcome of a race as the season they won.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.