PDA

View Full Version : Keen shoes

firsttimemommy
03-26-2007, 09:19 AM
I've seen alot of references to this brand of shoes here but I've never owned a pair. I was browsing on Nordies site and found these three:

http://tinyurl.com/2l9emw

http://tinyurl.com/3alzhv

http://tinyurl.com/2jzf2c

Does anyone have any of these and can comment? I am always looking for a pair of comfy shoes I can wear with shorts or capris - but I want style too - no "old lady" shoes! I have a pair of privos and two pair of skechers "biker" (mary jane style) coming from shoebuy, but was wondering about these.

Or any other "cool" suggestions? I don't like a big boxy sole.

Thanks!

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"If you could eliminate all defensiveness from your personality, you would not only have the best relationships in town, but in fact, you'd become the most loving and adorable person on the planet"

daniele_ut
03-26-2007, 09:45 AM
I own 3 pairs of Keens and love them. I don't have the exact pairs you linked, but I do have a pair of red Mary Janes similar to the Syndey IIs. I also have the Santa Cruz clogs and they are my favorite comfy shoes. My last pair are sandals that I haven't even worn yet.

Check out Sierra Trading Post before you buy. They have some deals on limited sizes. I got my MJs there last year (in a girls size 6, which fits my 7.5 foot perfectly) for $20.

SnuggleBuggles
03-26-2007, 10:21 AM
The 1st 2 especially just look too clunky and chunky for shorts especially, imo.

ETA my reasoning- it is the thick black sole. It just seems so "heavy" for summer. Not really light and breezy. But, I also am really partial to light footwear in the summer.

Does it have to be a shoe or can it be a sandal?

Beth

C99
03-26-2007, 11:54 AM
I have 2 pairs of Keens and love them. One is a sandal/mule and one is the sneaker-sandal, so I cannot comment on the MJ or closed-toe styles. In fact, I am wearing a pair now. They are really comfortable - I wore my sneaker sandals for awhile this winter over wool socks. I wear mine (both pairs) with skirts, capris, jeans, shorts. They are just great for running around after the kids. If you can, check them out in person. I was originally going to buy a pair of Newports, but they didn't fit my feet correctly, so ended up with the sneaker sandal.

My son also really likes his Keens. This will be the 4th season in a row (summer/winter) that I've bought him Keens as his main shoe.

ellies mom
03-26-2007, 12:02 PM
I have the first pair in green. They are my favorite summer shoe. I don't wear them with shorts but they look great with capri pants and skirts.

jenmcadams
03-26-2007, 01:32 PM
I have a pair of Mary Janes (Keen Seattle) in that Olive green color. I wear them all the time (Spring, Summer, Fall) with capris (not sure how'd they look with shorts). I get a lot of compliments/questions about them. My only complaint is that (b/c I don't wear them with socks) my feet do smell when I wear them. Now I'm sure this isn't the shoes fault :), but I wear other shoes without socks that don't leave my feet in quite as a stinky a state.

I'm not familiar with the specific mary janes you listed, but I know if you go on Zappos and read reviews a lot of people feel like you need to try on the various Keen MJ styles to figure out which ones fit your feet best. My Seattle's took some getting used to b/c they seemed to cut in to the top of my fore foot a little bit

shilo
03-26-2007, 03:36 PM
i luuuvvve my keens. i don't have any of those you listed. i've been eyeing the two 'asana' styles (a 'mary jane' and a 'mule') in the jjill spring catalog to wear with shorts/capri's. you might like either one:

http://www.jjill.com/ShopJJillDetail.asp?a=OL&sz=5&itemid=625655&d=8&absPage=0&OfferID=O8&ItemCatDesc=shoes&sc=

http://www.jjill.com/shopJJillDetail.asp?AreaID=OL&ColorToUse=056&SizeID=5&txtProductID=625502&offerid=O8&seldept=8&EAquest=keen

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

miki
03-26-2007, 03:55 PM
I've got 2 pairs of Keen clogs I bought through Sierra Trading Post. They were a deal (found a 20% off code on www.fatwallet.com)and they are the most comfy shoes. People ask me what brand they are all the time so they must look stylish to other people besides me.

mama2g03
03-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I have two pair of Keens - a pair of MJs and a pair of sneaker type shoes. I like both of them. The MJs seem a little short on me, but I wear a 10 and of course they don't make 10 1/2. DH and DS have both had Keens as well and we all really like them. However, I just got two pair of J-41s for my birthday and I am really liking them alot. I got both on sale at Scheels (a sporting goods store here) so they were a good deal. They are similar in price to Keens. I think I've seen some in the Title 9 catalog. Check them out and see what you think. I just checked out Sierra Trading post and depending on your size they have some really good deals.

betsydenny
03-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I love love love my Keens!
I own 4 pair! Love 3 of them, not so much the 4th.
Love my:
Seattle (like the Sydney just a little sportier)
Zermatt II like a Merrell but better looking
Bali flip flops!

Not so much love for the fit of the Sofia's but they are a different style and rubbed the back of my ankle.

I am currently trying to decide which color of the Barcelona to get for this spring/summer. Green or grey?

I find the Keens super comfy- not tons of arch support but I just get an insert and they are dreamy! I wear mine daily- if not one pair then the other- most of the year round.

My Seattles are definitely smelly but I wore them with bare feet all summer last summer and they are ready to be retired- tho I have worn them this week bc the weather is so great here in NYC finally!

Check out Zappo's for great color/style selection. Not often on sale but great customer service and super fast delivery.

HTH!
Betsy

zuzu
03-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Another Keen fan here. I have a pair of Seattles that are very similar to the Sydneys, and they are very comfortable and are great for walking around all day. I also have Newports and a pair of their Antigua flip flops. I had to size up a half size in the mary janes, but not the other two.

If you're looking for a slightly less chunky sole, maybe the Amsterdam or Barcelona styles might work. They are very comfortable and seem a little less bulky on - though my Seattles are clunkier than the Sydneys. I haven't tried on the Sophias, but I imagine they are as well.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product_wall_page.cfm?&catID=5