PDA

View Full Version : find nursing rooms...

DrSally
03-26-2007, 10:46 AM
I just read about this on the Field's blog
http://nursingrooms.wordpress.com/

She has lists of various places to nurse in each state. Too bad the only one in my state I already knew about. As an aside, I just found a fabulous library with a great play area. No food or drink at all though, so I recently tried tried to nurse DS standing up in the bathroom, not fun. I really wish they had a small room for kids to nurse, get a bottle, snack, etc.

Melanie
03-26-2007, 12:08 PM
That's so cool! Thanks for posting this.

lisams
03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Depending on where you live, you and your nursing child may be protected by law to nurse wherever you are legally allowed to be. You don't need to go to the restroom to nurse your child!

We worked really hard last year at getting AZ's law to protect nursing children (and their moms!). Here's ours - 41-1443. Breast-feeding; public place; public accommodation
A mother is entitled to breast-feed in any area of a public place or a place of public accommodation where the mother is otherwise lawfully present" Here's a link for other states http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/LawBills.html

I know that many mothers prefer a quiet place to nurse their child, but if that is not available, you should be able to still feed your baby when he/she is hungry.

LarsMal
03-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks! I found info on the mall close to us that I wasn't aware of!

brittone2
03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah that :)

I have gone through periods of time where I like to find a more private spot when my kids are popping on/off all the time to look around, but really, as BFing moms, we should be nursing our baby whenever he/she is hungry.

I know here in NC it is protected anywhere that you as a mother are permitted to be. I wish every state had such protections officially on the books. It makes it easier to "fight back" should management, store employees, wait staff, etc. comment on a mom nursing in public.

DrSally
03-26-2007, 07:19 PM
I should clarify that I didn't see nursing as part of the strict no food/drink rule and tried to nurse him in the playarea, but he kept popping off b/c of the action. He was hungry and fussy, so I tried to do it in the bathroom b/c of the quiet. Usually when we're out and he can't focus on nursing, I feed him a snack, but this wasn't an option at this place.

trumansmom
03-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Cool! There weren't any listings for my state, so I emailed some to her. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

lisams
03-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Oh how I remember when DD would pop off at every little noise! I remember thinking "focus here kiddo, you have a job to do!!"

In my dreams every place would have a small little "nook" with a chair for nursing moms! It wouldn't even need to be a room, just a place that was kind of private and out of the wya. Someday, maybe!!

DrSally
03-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Wouldn't that be nice!! No matter how hungry DS is or how much he wants to nurse, he cannot keep his eyes off the action. So, it ends up being a comical, one suck, one look game that is exposing and doesn't get anywhere. On a positive note, the Mpls airport that we have occasion to frequent at least a few times a year has 2 spots for nursing, yeah!