PDA

View Full Version : Yes/No: Wrapped carry-on gift through airport security?

lmintzer
03-26-2007, 11:32 AM
That pretty much says it all. Does anyone know the policy on this these days? We are going to be traveling this week and would love to have the gift we are carrying on wrapped but won't if they will just rip off the paper!

teddy
03-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Security unwrapped the wedding gift I carried on for my sister. I gave it to her with the torn paper and the explanation note from TSA.

I recommend you just bring wrapping paper and wrap it at your destination. Or gift bag your present!

lmintzer
03-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks! No point in risking it being unwrapped. That's a good idea to just bring the paper folded up in the bag. I guess that's what I'll do. Present is too large for easily gift-bagging.

Melanie
03-26-2007, 12:06 PM
I had to unwrap a gift back in the 90's, so chances are you will today.

mariza
03-26-2007, 12:18 PM
It depends on what the gift is. If the X-ray operator can't see through it clearly (lots of metal items and/or clutter) they will have to open it. Also, if it's a prohibited item, (wedding cake knife set, liquids and lotions, etc.) you will not only have to opne them, but may risk having to send them in your checked baggage or lose them altogether.
I agree with PP, best thing to do is a gift bag or bring wrapping paper with you. Also, check out www.tsa.gov on the latest travel advisory. HTH!

kss611
03-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Just flew last weekend with two wrapped gifts (clothing) and had not problem at all. I figured, b/c it was clothing, they would not make me unwrap it.

jgriffin
03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
It may depend on the airport you are travelling from. Several years ago (I think it was pre-9/11, but I'm not sure) I took Christmas gifts from Oakland to Rochester NY, then from Rochester to JFK (stopping in Rochester for several days). No problems with wrapped gifts in Oakland, but I had to unwrap everything when I left from Rochester. When I asked why, I was told that Oakland has better Xray machines for inspecting bags, but in Rochester they were doing more hand checks.

Like a PP said, I'd bring paper with you and wrap it when you get there.