PDA

View Full Version : POSTERIOR tongue tie - anyone with expereince?

deenass
03-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Cross posted in feeding forum, but thinking this forum gets a little more traffic...

My DS is 12 days old and we have been struggling with his latch, my lactation consultant thinks he has a POSTERIOR tongue tie (in the back instead of the front which is much more common and easier to diagnos).

My ped's office has basically never heard of this and right now I have an appt with an oral surgeon on Long Island (who is supposedly the expert at diagnosing and correcting this problem). But with so little info available about this, it makes me a bit nervous.

hoping someone might have some experience with this.

TIA!

o_mom
03-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I answered a little bit over there, but forgot to mention that you should call your state early intervention program. That is who we used to get occupational therapy for DS2. You will have to jump through a few hoops - I called at 1 week old and the evaluation by a speech therapist and occupational therapist was when he was about a month, our plan was in place at around 6-8 weeks and started therapy a week or so after that.

If you call now, you can get the process started and if the surgeon helps then you can just cancel everything with no penalties or anything. If the surgeon can't do anything, then you are closer to getting an evaluation and possible help.