PDA

View Full Version : Movers

bnme
03-27-2007, 09:29 AM
We have used atlantic moving in E. Setauket and have been pleased. Our last move we used PODS so I don't remember the price of atlantic. My parents used them for 3 moves (all localish) and even had them pack once or twice. I remember a pane of glass broke on my moms wall unit and they had it repaired quickly. I've also had friends use them and haven't heard any complaints.

Good luck

SnuggleBuggles
03-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Try that Angie's List recommendation from yesterday for movers. They have reviews of skilled laborers in most every city. Sometimes there is a fee and sometimes ther isn't.

I usually use local, independent moving companies. I have found that the quality *totally* depends on the crew you get b/c even within some companies I have had good and bad moves.

Now good rec otherwise. Just wanted to tell you to tell them that they need to schedule a large enough crew and enough time for the move. The idiots we used last brought 2 (maybe 3, I think 2) guys and packed and moved us the same day. It was a 4 bedroom house! It was ridiculous. They were overworked, grouchy and by the end of the day lazy and ready to quit even if that meant leaving stuff behind.

ETA- I would do most of the packing yourself if youa re at all neat and organized. It was very frustrating that the 2 times people pcked for us there was no rhyme or reason to the boxes and their content labeling left a lot to be desired. Even if you can pack a lot on your own you will be better off, imo. We only had them pack us b/c we were short on time and dh's company was paying for it. It wouldn't have been worth it to me otherwise.
Beth

Marisa6826
03-27-2007, 06:54 PM
My DH used Ben Hur Movers for all his moves while he was in NYC. http://www.benhur.com/

We found that most of the movers in NYC tend to be all the same, going under different names for the most part.

The Ben Hur guys were very professional. They helped last minute after Jonathan ran out of packing material (we called and told them, they brought boxes and supplies). It was downright SHOCKING how quick they packed the stuff up!

Moving is *never* a cheap process. But, hey, they have all your worldly possessions, right? Not a place you want to cut corners.

I do suggest, though, that if you have any really precious/sentimental/irreplaceable stuff that you move it on your own. I moved photographs, items that were wedding gifts, etc. myself. I guess I could've let the movers do it, but I just felt better knowing where I put the stuff, and how I packed it.

Good luck!

-m

Bean606
03-27-2007, 06:55 PM
We are moving from one place on Long Island to another close by. Can anyone recommend good movers? Ideally, I'd like them to pack and move us, but I realize that can add a huge cost, so I may try to pack myself. We have a LOT of furniture, and some very nice china and crystal pieces, so we need someone professional and reliable. Thanks!

kcandz
03-27-2007, 07:48 PM
I second the Angie's list rec. Many moving companies may have insurance exemptions if they don't pack it, so even if they threw a box of your china on the ground, if you packed it they wouldn't be liable. Not to be alarmist, just really check the insurance aspect with whomever you decide to use.

SJ mom
03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
We are in NJ but have used White Glove movers and have LOVED them. They are a bit pricey, but...they pack very well and move even better. Usually a team of 4+ guys, very polite. All professionals and FAST!

Bean606
03-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Yes. That is what happened to us last time when we used U. Santini. They threw the boxes down and put a huge box of filled with canned food on top of a box clearly marked "FRAGILE" because it contained my collection of lladro and precious moments figurines. Needless to say, not a one made it through unscathed, and they claimed they weren't responsible because they didn't pack it, hence my desire to get the movers to pack this time. I am going to check out Angie's list. Thanks.

Bean606
03-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks everyone!